NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A10 opening

Hybrid View

Default A10 opening

So with Temple moving, what do you think about a potential move for us?

I know there is a topic on the general board, but lets keep it to just the pros and cons for us

Default Re: A10 opening

potential con: the University would probably have to be willing to spend an additional $1M/yr on basketball if we want to be competitive.

Has the A-10 even stated that they are looking to replace Temple?

why would we make a lateral move? Richmond and Charlotte should come into the CAA. Then we could rotate tourney in charlotte, richmond, dc, atlanta, raliegh.

Quote Originally Posted by expendable smurf View Post
    potential con: the University would probably have to be willing to spend an additional $1M/yr on basketball if we want to be competitive.

Has the A-10 even stated that they are looking to replace Temple?
    Dont know, just wanted to hear peoples take on it anyway.

Regardless of a move - I would agree the Admin should spend $1 million more a year on hoops.

If we were to move - how would it benefit us? Our nearest rival would be GW? Not that exciting a prospect.

As fans - we would have to travel a lot more to go see road games. Granted we would play Xavier and Dayton more. I am just not sold on the A-10.
    America in distress - targeted, harrassed, and persecuted by an out of control Administration.
    Resist, refuse, and defeat the power of Tyranny. Bring the USA back from its great mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by PiKappPatri8 View Post
    Regardless of a move - I would agree the Admin should spend $1 million more a year on hoops.

If we were to move - how would it benefit us? Our nearest rival would be GW? Not that exciting a prospect.

As fans - we would have to travel a lot more to go see road games. Granted we would play Xavier and Dayton more. I am just not sold on the A-10.
    I don't actually think it's that big of a difference in travel. You do have St. Louis way out there as an outlier (but Atlanta isn't exactly close to Fairfax)

You've still got Charlotte (replacing UNCW)
    St. Joeseph, LaSalle (replacing Drexel and Delaware)
    Fordham (replacing Hofstra)
    UMass (replacing Northeastern)
    Richmond (replacing VCU)

and of course GW is right next door.

As I said before, if Mason has ambitions to start football in the next..say, 5 to 7 years we stay put, but if not and the A-10 comes calling we should make the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by GMUGemini View Post
    I don't actually think it's that big of a difference in travel. You do have St. Louis way out there as an outlier (but Atlanta isn't exactly close to Fairfax)

You've still got Charlotte (replacing UNCW)
    St. Joeseph, LaSalle (replacing Drexel and Delaware)
    Fordham (replacing Hofstra)
    UMass (replacing Northeastern)
    Richmond (replacing VCU)

and of course GW is right next door.

As I said before, if Mason has ambitions to start football in the next..say, 5 to 7 years we stay put, but if not and the A-10 comes calling we should make the jump.
    Decent points. I guess I just cannot get excited by the schools I see there. I just get the "mehs" reading off those names. If the A-10 were to invite Mason, VCU and maybe ODU/College of Charleston - I would like it more because I see those teams entering as insurance against a drop off of additional defections from the A-10. It would also help if GW would get decent again.
    America in distress - targeted, harrassed, and persecuted by an out of control Administration.
    Resist, refuse, and defeat the power of Tyranny. Bring the USA back from its great mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by PiKappPatri8 View Post
    Decent points. I guess I just cannot get excited by the schools I see there. I just get the "mehs" reading off those names. If the A-10 were to invite Mason, VCU and maybe ODU/College of Charleston - I would like it more because I see those teams entering as insurance against a drop off of additional defections from the A-10. It would also help if GW would get decent again.
    Yes, if the Big East splits along football lines and a new basketball conference is formed, the A-10 will look much different than it does today.

But: You've got plenty of basketball only schools along the east coast to choose from

CAA: Drexel, VCU, Northeastern, Hofstra, UNCW
    Southern: Davidson, Charleston
    Horizon: Cleveland State wouldn't be a bad addition (Butler is gone to the new Big East conference)

The new A-10 might look suspiciously like the old CAA when all things are said and done.

No way, no how we should make any move until all the conference shuffling is done, or at least a better picture emerges.

My money is the A-10 will be a dog here soon and the CAA will be stronger.
    Patience is the key.
    Only three things in this world make me nervous: snakes, un-tuned guitars and red-headed women.

KA's father, circa 1980

Pro's - more money, in a basketball centered conference, better conference reputation, more games closer to me ; )

Con's - tougher competition, less stable conference, many private schools unlike us