Elon
HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Now that Temple has bailed out of the A-10 . . .

It wouldn't surprise me to see two schools move to the C.A.A. from the A-10. Richmond has lost CAA/ A-10 football rival UMass. URI is changing their football affiliation too and won't be in the football mix anymore. Without Temple, the stature of A-10 basketball has taken a back seat to the press the CAA gets in Washington, D.C. and VA. It's a no brainer for the Spiders.

Drexel fans may have a better feel for it than I but St. Joseph's may be open to exploring the possibilities of C.A.A. membership. If I'm not mistaken, Coach Martelli's son is an asst. at Delaware. His former asst. is the Hens head coach. There already is a great deal of familiarity with the CAA and the Hawks would be a great addition to the Association both academically and athletically.

Right now the CAA is in a great position and is seen as a step UP from the A-10 now that Temple is leaving.

(and if the Hawks go, what about the Explorers?)

St. Joes and Richmond would be great additions, but who would we drop? We do not want a darned 14 team conference.

Quote Originally Posted by EverRespect View Post
    St. Joes and Richmond would be great additions, but who would we drop? We do not want a darned 14 team conference.
    It could start off as an expansion to patch the CAA tournament holes that UNCW and towson will likely leave due to academic sanctions, 14 team CAA, 12 team tournament and sort the rest out down the road after Georgia State heads to dominate the SEC.

St. Joes will not leave the A10 for the CAA, they (and most of Philadelphia) would see that as a step down.

Edit: And I say that as a Drexel fan who is married into St. Joe family
    Last edited by DrachenFire; 03-08-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
    It could start off as an expansion to patch the CAA tournament holes that UNCW and towson will likely leave due to academic sanctions, 14 team CAA, 12 team tournament and sort the rest out down the road after Georgia State heads to dominate the SEC.
    As a former member of the ECAC South and charter member of the CAA I can assure you UNCW isnt leaving the CAA. Sure, we have to pay a one year price because an unqualified person (Merthens) was hired as AD and gutted the study hall program among other things but she was fired. (not soon enough) But UNCW still has one of the highest graduation rates among college athletic programs in the country and the new AD has fixed the problem. We will take a hit one more year but after that will be cleaned of the bad hire. We also will be loaded on the court and back to competing for the CAA titles again. We had only one senior this year and with the 3 redshirt freshmen ready to play we will be back to the winning ways that gave of 4 CAA titles since 2000. Also, as bad a year as we had our attendance still ranks at the top half of the league. So hold your breath there xjohn.

Quote Originally Posted by CentDukesFan View Post
    pretty sure richmond is transferring down to D3 for their football program
    That's what I've been hearing. In fact, I have been hearing that they are also planning on downsizing their already tiny stadium.

Arrow Re: Now that Temple has bailed out of the A-10 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by witsendhawk View Post
    As a former member of the ECAC South and charter member of the CAA I can assure you UNCW isnt leaving the CAA. Sure, we have to pay a one year price because an unqualified person (Merthens) was hired as AD and gutted the study hall program among other things but she was fired. (not soon enough) But UNCW still has one of the highest graduation rates among college athletic programs in the country and the new AD has fixed the problem. We will take a hit one more year but after that will be cleaned of the bad hire. We also will be loaded on the court and back to competing for the CAA titles again. We had only one senior this year and with the 3 redshirt freshmen ready to play we will be back to the winning ways that gave of 4 CAA titles since 2000. Also, as bad a year as we had our attendance still ranks at the top half of the league. So hold your breath there xjohn.
    I wasn't suggesting that UNCW was leaving the conference, just stating that expansion could help fill your spot in the CAA tourney until the NCAA stuff gets sorted. Just a thought.

After Drexel wins two (three?) games in this year's NCAA Tournament, I expect that perception to change.
    "Everyone loves a winner."

Guys, NCAA by-laws prohibits D-I schools from playing FB at any level other than D-I. No D-I schools have plans to reclassify their entire athletic departments as D-III. There are FCS low equivalency options (NEC & Pioneer League) for D-I schools who do not want to make large investments in FB.

It's a joke.