NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Temple to the Big East

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...ce-realignment

Assuming that happens, so much for the mass carnage of the MAC and CAA that would ensue.
    Mass carnage? This is a simple thread about things could get interesting, not mass carnage.

As mentioned previously, things will get interesting because of football, not basketball. Unless Butler is planning to upgrade its football program, Butler to the A-10 does not address the football issues that involve MAC, CAA, and A-10 schools.

Reported Butler wil keep football on the FCS level and stay in the
    Pioneer League. Saw this on CBS Sports Las night.
    "Stay thirsty my friends"

Butler would be an interesting choice to replace Temple.

The A-10 would be saying goodby to an Eastern public school, with 27,000 undergrads, and a $280 million endowment, and saying hello to a Midwestern private school, with 4,000 undergrads, and a $153 million endowment. UMass and Charlotte ok with that?

I think's it's a smart move by the A10 as their western flank (Dayton/Xavier/SLU) is most vulnerable for other options. They are outposts that don't really fit.

Think about it - without Temple and these western outposts - the A10 is a one bid operation most years.

They lost Temple. They can't afford to lose Dayton and Xavier. Butler adds some muscle on that side.

[QUOTE=Sitting Bull;1716000]I think's it's a smart move by the A10 as their western flank (Dayton/Xavier/SLU) is most vulnerable for other options. They are outposts that don't really fit.

Think about it - without Temple and these western outposts - the A10 is a one bid operation most years.
    I
    They lost Temple. They can't afford to lose Dayton and Xavier. Butler adds some muscle on that side.[/QUOTE

Butler will also, bring in the Indianapolis market, which has to be good for The A-10s T.V. marke. In fact, it probably gives them more than what they lost with Temple leaving, The Philly market will still have plenty of representation with St Joe's and Lasalle. We all know TV market a school brings may be the most important thing they can bring.
    Last edited by trbefn; 03-13-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    "Stay thirsty my friends"

http://www2.wsls.com/sports/2012/mar...r--ar-1784486/

Not exactly the unequivocal denials that I would have hoped for from GMU and VCU concerning the A-10 rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Ribe View Post
    http://www2.wsls.com/sports/2012/mar...r--ar-1784486/

Not exactly the unequivocal denials that I would have hoped for from GMU and VCU concerning the A-10 rumor.
    If GMU and VCU are going, that means that they don't plan on having football programs.

If GMU and VCU are going, both CAA leagues are dead. W&M, ODU, JMU, Towson, and Delaware need to speak to the MAC, and those five schools, plus UMass, could form a six school eastern division of the MAC. If not, Tribe goes to the Patriot, and that's that.

If GMU and VCU are going, the Richmond hoops coach could get his wish, to the detriment of the Richmond football program.

However, the new CAA deal with NBC...did the CAA schools relinquish their TV rights to the conference to make that deal, and does that effectively prohibit VCU and GMU from moving?

If W&M were to call the MAC, does the MAC ignore the call, or pick up to laugh at W&M before hanging up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    If W&M were to call the MAC, does the MAC ignore the call, or pick up to laugh at W&M before hanging up?
    Uh...Rocco...failing to think outside of the box is a terrible thing.

In 1985, Richard Moll wrote a book about the public Ivies. Eight schools were listed. Two of the eight schools were Miami (Oh) and W&M.

In 2001, the Greene's expanded the public Ivy list. Thirty schools were listed. Three of the eight schools were Miami (Oh), W&M, and Delaware.

IF THE CAA BLOWS UP, affiliation with Miami (Oh) is an academic and athletic fit for W&M and Delaware, more so than affiliation with the private Ivies (the Patriot). Also, with the Patriot going full-scholarship in football, W&M may have to seek out new recruiting grounds in the Midwest as NJ/PA may dry up.

So, I think W&M and Delaware should call Miami of Ohio, and get them to gauge interest / carry the water, etc....but this is only my two cents.

But, you're right, there would be laughter because this is the W&M athletics board, not the academics board, and even posters on this board won't consider the MAC, even though it is an intriguing option IF THE CAA BLOWS UP!

Quote Originally Posted by nj alum View Post
    Uh...Rocco...failing to think outside of the box is a terrible thing.

In 1985, Richard Moll wrote a book about the public Ivies. Eight schools were listed. Two of the eight schools were Miami (Oh) and W&M.

In 2001, the Greene's expanded the public Ivy list. Thirty schools were listed. Three of the eight schools were Miami (Oh), W&M, and Delaware.

IF THE CAA BLOWS UP, affiliation with Miami (Oh) is an academic and athletic fit for W&M and Delaware, more so than affiliation with the private Ivies (the Patriot). Also, with the Patriot going full-scholarship in football, W&M may have to seek out new recruiting grounds in the Midwest as NJ/PA may dry up.

So, I think W&M and Delaware should call Miami of Ohio, and get them to gauge interest / carry the water, etc....but this is only my two cents.

But, you're right, there would be laughter because this is the W&M athletics board, not the academics board, and even posters on this board won't consider the MAC, even though it is an intriguing option IF THE CAA BLOWS UP!
    We bring nothing of value to the table athletics-wise, and the rest of the schools you mentioned would cut us loose in a heartbeat to bring in a school with more value. I'm sure W&M would have interest in moving up to a better conference that gets more money with their TV contracts (as of 2009, each football team received $1.3M- they recently signed an extension but I can't find a dollar value for it). We're a small school with little TV cachet. Our basketball programs are dumpster fires, and our football team would need a large influx of cash to compete at the 1-A level. They'd have zero interest in our athletic programs. What exactly would W&M add other than another mouth to feed? Sure, W&M should call. I can't see the MAC being interested.