HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Get CAA Tournament out of Richmond

The CAA Men’s Basketball tournament has been held in the Richmond Coliseum since 1990. In that 23 year period a Richmond team, University of Richmond (former member) or Virginia Commonwealth University has been in the finals 13 times and won the championship 8 times. Other Virginia schools have also benefited from the championship being held in Virginia during this time, Old Dominion University (6), George Mason University (4) and James Madison University (1).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia...ic_Association

Maybe the best way to get the CAA tournament out of Richmond, and Virginia, is to financially boycott the tournament. Go to the games to support your team but spend as little money as possible within 10 miles of the Richmond Coliseum.

Stay at hotels outside Richmond and charter shuttle busses, or carpool, to the games to reduce the number of parked vehicles.

Organize tailgate potlucks before the game. Have “brown bag” parties between sessions for fans who go all day on Friday and Saturday.

At the Coliseum buy a program and maybe one non-alcoholic drink. Do not buy t-shirts, food or beer.

Contact your student associations, alumni associations and boosters to spread the word.

Default Re: Get CAA Tournament out of Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by BoycottRichmondCAA View Post
    The CAA Men’s Basketball tournament has been held in the Richmond Coliseum since 1990. In that 23 year period a Richmond team, University of Richmond (former member) or Virginia Commonwealth University has been in the finals 13 times and won the championship 8 times. Other Virginia schools have also benefited from the championship being held in Virginia during this time, Old Dominion University (6), George Mason University (4) and James Madison University (1).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia...ic_Association

Maybe the best way to get the CAA tournament out of Richmond, and Virginia, is to financially boycott the tournament. Go to the games to support your team but spend as little money as possible within 10 miles of the Richmond Coliseum.

Stay at hotels outside Richmond and charter shuttle busses, or carpool, to the games to reduce the number of parked vehicles.

Organize tailgate potlucks before the game. Have “brown bag” parties between sessions for fans who go all day on Friday and Saturday.

At the Coliseum buy a program and maybe one non-alcoholic drink. Do not buy t-shirts, food or beer.

Contact your student associations, alumni associations and boosters to spread the word.
    Ha... This is getting ridiculous... The damn thing Broke attendance records and was sooooo greatly improved this year from years past... The brown turd had improvements... I enjoyed the food court outside.. The lobby of the marriott was cool... Drexel had a great fan turnout and we played on Monday... I had a fantastic weekend

the funny part is it's mostly odu fans who are complaining...or at least one particularly vocal one whose name starts with an r and ends with azor ramon. they won the last 2 caa championship games so the home court can't be hurting them too badly.

Can't argue with those numbers, drexelJay. Just have to live with it.
    "Why don't we go lay on the bed and I'll fill you in?"

I just think as Dragon Fans we are farther along the 12 step program of being in the CAA than ODU/Mason. We just don't care anymore its never going to change till the contract is up which is 2014 but it will probably be extended. Even though we would love for it to be in WDC or Baltimore but, we know it won't happen for now.

Is anyone shocked it set a new record? The home team was coming off of their final four run and they made the finals. If they didnt set a new record it would have been shame on them

I began the complete boycott years ago, it is just that no one followed. I don't even care so much about VCU's advantage. I'm just tired of the same boring predictable results. Interesting things like GSU knocking out Mason almost never happen. Our run this year is about as close making things interesting as you can get. Until we consistently get some new blood in this tourney, I have no interest in it.
    2009 CAA Women's Basketball Champs
    24-9

I've boycotted the tournament for 10 years, and Monday was my first game in Richmond. I'm not excited about ever going back either.

I did follow the protest guidelines. I bought a ticket that Drexel repurchased from another school, so it was sold anyway. I stayed outside of Richmond, and didn't eat at the RC or anywhere in Richmond. I paid for a program and paid to park and that was it.

The only time I'll ever go back to Richmond is if Drexel is playing in the finals against a non-Richmond team.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I've boycotted the tournament for 10 years, and Monday was my first game in Richmond. I'm not excited about ever going back either.

I did follow the protest guidelines. I bought a ticket that Drexel repurchased from another school, so it was sold anyway. I stayed outside of Richmond, and didn't eat at the RC or anywhere in Richmond. I paid for a program and paid to park and that was it.

The only time I'll ever go back to Richmond is if Drexel is playing in the finals against a non-Richmond team.
    So, you force yourself not to have any fun or actually get to know another area(whether you like it or not). It made such a difference! Good thing you haven't been there to cheer your team on in person, go to bars with fellow fans, try new restaurants and so on. You really showed them...

Disclaimer: I'm in favor of a three-city rotation
    "An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed"
    -Thomas Jefferson

By any means necessary.