HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: UMass and the MAC- Not So Fast

If the MAC was smart, they would go all in on the east coast to broaden exposure and tv markets. Adding the likes of JMU and two of ODU, App St. and Delaware to go to sixteen isn't a bad idea. I know a lot of people want to skip a level and only move up to the Alliance or higher, but I think this would get our foot in the door without losing some good rivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofLA View Post
    If the MAC was smart, they would go all in on the east coast to broaden exposure and tv markets. Adding the likes of JMU and two of ODU, App St. and Delaware to go to sixteen isn't a bad idea. I know a lot of people want to skip a level and only move up to the Alliance or higher, but I think this would get our foot in the door without losing some good rivalries.
    IF the MAC realized the potential of this league and was willing to invite multiple FCS teams, it could make the MAC rival the CUSA/MWC in the long run, but not short term.

With teams like Eastern Michigan who are an FBS worst attended with 4200 or so fans per game, some MAC teams may need to move back down to FCS.

Edit: Take back everything I said about the MAC's potential, even with FCS powers joining. The best attended MAC team was Temple with 28,060/game. JMU outdrew every MAC team this past season except for Temple. That's 11 of the 12 schools. http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Intern...ATTENDANCE.pdf
    Last edited by Dukes09; 02-23-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmuduke9 View Post
    I know it's a gradual ramping up of schollies usually, but if they even wanted to revert to FCS what do they do with the kids on scholarship that are over the 63 limit?
    My guess is right now they are 70-75 schollies. They didn't announce they were moving up to last April 20, about 2 1/2 months after their signing date, after they'd announced the transfers they got & at the end of Spring Ball. If they were over 63 last season it would have only been by a few if they got some late transfers or gave schollies to a few more walkons.

They signed 24 according to their signing day release on their website. All the other CAA schools signed 13 to 19, so that would likely leave them around 70-75. Always have a few offseason losses. If they had to drop back down just like last yr they wouldn't be eligible for the league title or playoffs anyway for at least one season if not several, so just like last yr they would just play with the extra schollies (except it would be more like 5-10 extra instead of maybe just a couple).

Quote Originally Posted by BSKB 24 View Post
    Stacey Bedell, Jr.
    Also Tyrell Smith seemed to be heading to JMU then changed to UMass as well last minute

Quote Originally Posted by JMUDukes2014 View Post
    Also Tyrell Smith seemed to be heading to JMU then changed to UMass as well last minute
    As well as LB Leo Krizanovic
    "Apathetic markets come before actual fans"....Dukes09

Combine this possibility with the fact that it's open-season on any player who commits to UMass next recruiting season and it could be a very difficult time for this program. Stacey Bedell could find it extremely difficult trying to run behind an offensive line that couldn't start for many FCS teams.

Karma is a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuukes View Post
    Karma is a bitch.
    Duuuukes, sometimes you can be so to the point!