UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default UMass and the MAC- Not So Fast

"Apathetic markets come before actual fans"....Dukes09

Default Re: UMass and the MAC- Not So Fast

Do we want them back? eh...

Wouldn't the MAC owe UMass money for bailing on them?

I know it's a gradual ramping up of schollies usually, but if they even wanted to revert to FCS what do they do with the kids on scholarship that are over the 63 limit?
    Just keep monitoring...
    We Are The Dukes Of JMU....

Quote Originally Posted by jmuduke9 View Post
    I know it's a gradual ramping up of schollies usually, but if they even wanted to revert to FCS what do they do with the kids on scholarship that are over the 63 limit?
    Some would lose scholarship or transfer I suppose.

Like the three they beat us out for!

Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    Like the three they beat us out for!
    hahah i forgot about that kid that bailed on us for UMass, i forget his name. I bet he's feeling like a fool right now if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukes09 View Post
    hahah i forgot about that kid that bailed on us for UMass, i forget his name. I bet he's feeling like a fool right now if this is true.
    Stacey Bedell, Jr.
    King George, VA - Birthplace of James Madison and Homeplace of three JMU Hall of Famers; and OJF!

Quote Originally Posted by jmuduke9 View Post
    My guess is right now they are 70-75 schollies. They didn't announce they were moving up to last April 20, about 2 1/2 months after their signing date, after they'd announced the transfers they got & at the end of Spring Ball. If they were over 63 last season it would have only been by a few if they got some late transfers or gave schollies to a few more walkons.

They signed 24 according to their signing day release on their website. All the other CAA schools signed 13 to 19, so that would likely leave them around 70-75. Always have a few offseason losses. If they had to drop back down just like last yr they wouldn't be eligible for the league title or playoffs anyway for at least one season if not several, so just like last yr they would just play with the extra schollies (except it would be more like 5-10 extra instead of maybe just a couple).

It says UMass isn't forced out of the conference, just that one of their main reasons for joining the MAC was to form a rivalry with Temple. Without them there, the league looks even less attractive to UMass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukes09 View Post
    It says UMass isn't forced out of the conference, just that one of their main reasons for joining the MAC was to form a rivalry with Temple. Without them there, the league looks even less attractive to UMass.
    Here's what their contract says;
    "But if either UMass or Temple were to announce a decision to leave, the other's membership could change.

The MAC would have the option of retaining the remaining school as a full member, replacing the departing school with another program or converting the remaining team's membership to a term contract of no less than two years.

In the event of a term contract, the remaining school would only need to pay $500,000 if it chose to withdraw.

"We're aligned with them as the two football-only members. If something changes and one of us pursues another opportunity, it affects the other," McCutcheon said. "There are some assurances one way or the other that whoever would be remaining has some mechanisms to protect themselves.'