HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: GSU Explores FBS Move

Hey its all good...we in GA know who they are. Everyone who grows up here and goes to high school here remembers who in their class went to State, GA, Tech, Emory or Ga Southern. Historically the Southern option has been one step above "I dont know, I guess I could join the Army" meaning not a great deal of thought process put into it. The problem with GaSouthern today is that this is not the time to be a smalll town cow college. The nearest sizable city is Savannah (55 miles) which itself is a tourist destination and container port and not growing by leaps and bounds. There is no governmental, law are health sciences infrastructure to drive any new majors and growth the way there is in NW Atlanta (Kennesaw State). It puts them in a dire predicament where they have very little to sell academically to drive growth. Their best bet would be to open a satellite campus in Savannah and try and get some Health Sciences and Law programs started that way.

Prettiest Ginormous Stadium in America

GSU To FBS Today!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by -Tribal- View Post
    Isn't Georgia Southern a National Research University?
    US News puts them in the National Universities categories probably because they produce enough PhDs...and that can be in anything. Their total research funding was about $3.5 million. Georgia State's was $58.5 million. Georgia Southern's endowment is $40 million. Georgia State's is $113 million. I really don't consider Georgia Southern a research university.

After taking a close look at the CAA schools, Towson seems to be the weak link. Small endowment at $41 million with about 22,000 students, and #49 among Northern Regional Universities.

Old Dominion looks more like GSU's peer. Their endowment is $170 million and do $96 million in research.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    US News puts them in the National Universities categories probably because they produce enough PhDs...and that can be in anything. Their total research funding was about $3.5 million. Georgia State's was $58.5 million. Georgia Southern's endowment is $40 million. Georgia State's is $113 million. I really don't consider Georgia Southern a research university.

After taking a close look at the CAA schools, Towson seems to be the weak link. Small endowment at $41 million with about 22,000 students, and #49 among Northern Regional Universities.

Old Dominion looks more like GSU's peer. Their endowment is $170 million and do $96 million in research.

That's why I asked the question about GA Southern being a National Research University then followed it with the statement for Panama to simmer down. I know he doesn't think so, so just busting his chops a bit.

ODU was once the Norfolk Division of W&M so us Tribe fans like speak kindly of our bastard child. I think you're correct about the ODU-GSU comparison. I know little about GSU but ODU is known as a large urban school that offers an abundance of degrees and is set up nicely for working adults who want to earn their degree P/T at night. As you're aware, the largest naval base in the world is located within a few miles of ODU so you can imagine the number of US service members who attend. ODU is a natural fit for FB...they're smack dab in the middle of VA's better athletes, their admission standards are average at best, they spend a ton of cash on athletic programs, their fan base is huge, and the nearest FBS program is ECU followed by much more distant UNC, Duke, WF, UVA and VT. If GSU stays in the CAA (breathe, Panama, breathe), ODU would be a natural rivalry...lack of propinquity would be the only barrier.

Towson has been the doormat of the CAA since forever...for a lot of reasons; it was nice to see them compete last FB season.

I am breathing just fine. I will still attend most away games whatever happens just as I have in the past. But I know a lot of people will be jumping ship in a couple years if we're still playing Richmond at home. Hell, there are plenty with their wallets shut NOW because we're playing Richmond and the likes.

Prettiest Ginormous Stadium in America

GSU To FBS Today!!!!!!!!!

If they have another 3 and 8 seasons I will see no reason to renew season tickets.
    Last edited by RidgeRunner; 02-29-2012 at 11:25 AM.

I wish GSU the best of luck whether you stay in the CAA or not. The Sun Belt makes sense regionally for you guys and you have a chance to really dominate it in men's basketball. Football that's another story and that's going to take some time. Still FBS is better than FCS, especially in the South.

If GSU does leave the CAA I think Charlotte is a better fit than GA Southern, App. St or Coastal Carolina. They are starting football in 2013, have 25K+ students and a decent basketball team.