JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Richmond?

Default Re: Richmond?

I hear they didn't get enough people for the bus to Richmond and cancelled it. Sucks.

Going to look pathetic.
    CAAzone Beer Pong Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hofstra View Post
    Ahh.. Well if you change your mind, let us know. We will celebrate a friday victory with some wings
    Yeah, that was a lot of fun last year.

Love the tourney, even in a year like this one for HU. Wish I could go, but hopefully next year, and hopefully a much better season and seed for us next year.

Question... I'm not offerring any solutions, but should a 1-30 team get a chance to win its way into the NCAA tourney?

It will of course never happen, but the rules do allow for a 5-30 team to get in the NCAA tourney, whereas if first-place Drexel loses it's opener, following a 17-game win streak that started with a 60-27 win over Towson, could go to the NIT at 25-6.

That's the best system we can have??

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Pride Fan View Post
    Question... I'm not offerring any solutions, but should a 1-30 team get a chance to win its way into the NCAA tourney?

It will of course never happen, but the rules do allow for a 5-30 team to get in the NCAA tourney, whereas if first-place Drexel loses it's opener, following a 17-game win streak that started with a 60-27 win over Towson, could go to the NIT at 25-6.

That's the best system we can have??

It's up to the conferences to govern how they choose their automatic bid. For a legitimate conference like the CAA, the tournament is somewhat of an event. It would be stupid to leave teams out, even if there is a slim chance the 12 seed could win and ruin the conferences chances to win a game in the Big Dance.

Most of the conferences in the past few years have also increased the perks for winning the regular season championship, I think the winner of the MAAC regular season advances straight to the semifinals.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchmen View Post
    It's up to the conferences to govern how they choose their automatic bid. For a legitimate conference like the CAA, the tournament is somewhat of an event. It would be stupid to leave teams out, even if there is a slim chance the 12 seed could win and ruin the conferences chances to win a game in the Big Dance.

Most of the conferences in the past few years have also increased the perks for winning the regular season championship, I think the winner of the MAAC regular season advances straight to the semifinals.
    Oh, I know it's up to the conference, but it's not even a 10-21 team like ours. We're talking ONE and THIRTY. Not that they'll win 4 straight (or even one), and not that I want to see any teams excluded necessarily, but it seems crazy to have a 1-30 team with the same chance to get in as everyone else. They could have simply forfeited all of their games this year and had the same shot they have now.

I wouldn't say most, but some conference automatically advance teams. Most still do it like the CAA.

I've said for many years, though not here, that the Ivy does it best. No tournament at all.

After that, my choices would be...

1. Top 4 play it off while the rest stay home. And in fact, make the games all on the higher seed's court rather than some "neutral" location.
    2. Some sort of bracket where the higher seeds get an advantage. Whether that is home courts, or multiple byes (as the MAAC did for its top seed a few years before abandoning the format), or whatever, it gives the regular season meaning.

As it stands now, the regular season is almost meaningless at the mid-major level, unless you're good enough to get an at-large and/or a really good NCAA tournament seed.

Love to see Binghamton win the AE...they've already doubled their win count to two!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I've said for many years, though not here, that the Ivy does it best. No tournament at all.

After that, my choices would be...

1. Top 4 play it off while the rest stay home. And in fact, make the games all on the higher seed's court rather than some "neutral" location.
    2. Some sort of bracket where the higher seeds get an advantage. Whether that is home courts, or multiple byes (as the MAAC did for its top seed a few years before abandoning the format), or whatever, it gives the regular season meaning.

As it stands now, the regular season is almost meaningless at the mid-major level, unless you're good enough to get an at-large and/or a really good NCAA tournament seed.
    Would have to be the multiple byes - although that's not always an advantage. Sometimes, the team in rhythm has the edge. Look at UConn last year vs. top-seeded BE teams who had a bye early.

But, as you well know, because of money, it would have to be the byes instead of the other option above (although I agree with you that higher seed's court is the fairest thing and makes the regular season the most meanigful).

Having said that...

Towson hanging in, down just 56-54, with 6:43 left. LOL

What would Mottman say if the Tigers win this?

Mason gets by Georgia State tonight, so if Drexel is going to be the first northern team to get it done in Richmond, they'll have to do it through the normal path, with a couple of wins over top Virginia teams from here on out... ODU tomorrow, and should the Dragons survive that, they get the VCU-Mason winner on Monday night.