HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Interesting perspective...

"He said the freshmen have a lot to learn but the coaches need to step up as well."

I have no problem with that. And this is where your spins are blowing things up. I never said Buzz is the greatest. I never said you called for him being fired. I have a history on these boards of defending both coaches and players. I will express my concerns about things like missing so many free throws or wide open shots or not playing defense. I will also express concerns about the style of play or the type of defense we play. But early on, with any team and coaching staff we have ever had, I have given players and coaches time to gel.

I have seen the same reactions with every new coach we have had. Even Wainright and Brownell. Fans were especially irate about Brownell yanking players out so quickly. But what he did paid off in the long run. They learned to play defense or they sat. No matter who they were. That certain group that didn't want him here used his actions of sitting TJ so much and spread rumors that he was racist. When all the while, he was pulling TJ for his inabiity to follow the defensive scheme. Brad knew that TJ was special. And he did what he thought would work to bring out TJ's true ability to score and defend. I think it paid off. It just took time.
    SHUT UP AND PLAY!!!!

A.K.A. 33Talons

Quote Originally Posted by Trask31 View Post
    To the moderators: for obvious reasons please delete this thread ASAP.
    What, are you a Democrat?

I think it's relevant when the parent of one of our incoming Freshmen is engaging with the beat writer of UNCW basketball on Twitter. His son has obviously played well througout high school, and he has every right to engage about the team he is on in college. I found that he made some very obvious observations and comments, especially related to the fact that the team as a whole has struggled in the current defense.

For good or bad, it all comes down to the coach in the end. It isn't the end of the world, and I have no concerns this will lead to transfers or otherwise. But it is the canary in the coal mine. You can try to delete the post, but it won't change the feelings beind the exchange, and ignoring it is foolish.

33,I have supported every single coach but don't consfuse me expressing my frustration with the teams lack of basic fundamentals,adjustments,lack of overall improvement ect as me not supporting Buzz. I want the guy to win and succeed here.I hear a lot of exaggerated spin from others like I was cut by Buzz,that they thought I was a kid,that I needed to grow up ect..all simply because I have expressed all year long what Mr. Smith is now expressing thru twitter.
    Last edited by hawkfan4life; 02-08-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    We go from young to old so we better go from losing to winning.

Buzz just got through taking responsibility for the Ga State game and they just won a game. If you have problems with the coach, call his show. I would love to hear you call in and say what you write on here! That exaggerated spin could be accessed to your point of view as well and don't get me wrong because I like you Joe...others have opinions. The problem is that the Hawks just don't get a lot of easy hoops. That takes the right personnel, size, and experience. Fastbreak points, 2nd chance points paint points and defensive PPP are always the key factors. Gonna take another year to have enough players and experience to really be there competing at the top consistently. Oh yea, having our healthy, athletic PG back would help immeasurably. Carolina didn't win with freshmen either...just doesn't happen often.
    Last edited by billthebighawkfan; 02-08-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    A decade of excellence...
    1998 NIT
    2000 NCAA
    2001 NIT
    2002 NCAA & Baseball 2003 NCAA
    2003 NCAA & Baseball 2004 NCAA
    2006 NCAA & Baseball 2006 NCAA
    2008 NCAA Baseball

With the minutes that these guys have played this season as freshmen it makes me think they were just not as good as billed and by that I mean fundametally they needed a lot of reps.Smith's father has an agenda like anyone would if they have a son/daughter playing a college sport and I put zero stock in what he says.Of course Peterson and staff are held accountable for the success of the team but the talent is just not there to win right now but maybe they will delelop and win at some point but for now its JV ball in the bottom half of the CAA.The CAA is tough on young players and I like the bigger more physical guards who can defend and go the basket and it looks like Jackson and maybe Ponder fit that but Smith is a drifter by nature and does not like contact so he stays away from it for the most part-its called soft and he is soft.As he gets stronger maybe he will learn to take what the defense gives him but he has been bodied up some now and has not responded with the drive to the hole to keep the defender honest.I also would not put much into beating W&M at home because they have won 2 games all year and are almost as bad as Towson.Smith also made a comment about the defense played as a team and defense starts with every player being responsible and his son has not played with any heart or personal responsibility on defense at all-get some video and watch him play is what Dad should do and stop pointing fingers at the coaches.Do your job and shut the f up.

Quote Originally Posted by billthebighawkfan View Post
    Buzz just got through taking responsibility for the Ga State game and they just won a game. If you have problems with the coach, call his show. I would love to hear you call in and say what you write on here! That exaggerated spin could be accessed to your point of view as well and don't get me wrong because I like you Joe...others have opinions. The problem is that the Hawks just don't get a lot of easy hoops. That takes the right personnel, size, and experience. Fastbreak points, 2nd chance points paint points and defensive PPP are always the key factors. Gonna take another year to have enough players and experience to really be there competing at the top consistently. Oh yea, having our healthy, athletic PG back would help immeasurably. Carolina didn't win with freshmen either...just doesn't happen often.
    The Buzz Peterson campfire fire comment was made in jest. My issues with the team have been stated and have been sent to the people that you guys wanted me to send them too. Do you want to hear Smiths dad call the show too? All last year we talked about not having size and depth and we had all of that this year except for point(which the coach is responsible for).ODU lost 4 of their top 6 scorers,don't have a true PG yet they can win the league.Other teams adapt yet we sit around and make excuses year after year after year after year..I like you Bill but the pom pom routine gets old. We have now been making excuses for 6 straight years now. I am done making excuses. Have at it. Now its we don't have the right personnel excuse..who assembled the personnel? We dont get enough fastbreak points? We look at our best offensively attacking in transition yet I have not seen a lot of it. He assembled a running team in a grind it out league. Ok,run then.You can't grind with this skinny team. His style of play is not matching his current personnel so change up the style of play to better fit the kids that we have right now.
    Last edited by hawkfan4life; 02-08-2012 at 11:03 AM.

"What, are you a Democrat?"

Oh that's right it is always the Democrats crying that the news is so biased and should just be shut down. Except for the "fair & balanced network."
    Bleed Teal and Gold!

I was wondering who would bite....(he, he).

Oh, the Santini is using social media, very interesting
    Hearing the call of the mid majors to rise up and defeat the BCS Industrial Complex.

Quote Originally Posted by herbie369 View Post
    "What, are you a Democrat?"

Oh that's right it is always the Democrats crying that the news is so biased and should just be shut down. Except for the "fair & balanced network."
    What do you think of the Todd Haley hire? Heard Arians was basically forced out by the powers that be.