Elon
HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Default Ricky Bryant's Patriots SB Ring on Pawn Stars

Just flipped on History channel, apparently a guy is about to sell Ricky Bryant's 2004 Super Bowl ring from when he was on the Patriots practice squad, this should be interesting to watch
    2010 CAAZone Conference Tourney Bracket Champion
    Follow me on Twitter @Mapes4FanCave as I try and get on to the 2012 MLB Fan Cave!

Default Re: Ricky Bryant's Patriots SB Ring on Pawn Stars

Guess Bryant pawned it to a broker and never came back to get it from him

There was some questions that it wasn't real cause of the engraving

It was determined to be real, ended up selling it for $21,000

Note to self, if I ever get that much money, I'm so buying it
    2010 CAAZone Conference Tourney Bracket Champion
    Follow me on Twitter @Mapes4FanCave as I try and get on to the 2012 MLB Fan Cave!

Wonder why he had to pawn it?
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!

lol i watched that episode too - hope he's not hurting THAT bad, I would absolutely HATE to part with something that special, I don't care if all I did was hold a clipboard on a superbowl team, I'm keeping that ring!!

Unfortuantely, a LOT (way more than the average fan realizes) of guys like Bryant, the more non-descript players who most people don't even know are on the roster, ARE hurting that bad when they get out of the NFL. Hope not for his sake, but he probably did need the cash.

What I dont understand is why these guys dont use their college connections or even pro connections to get some sort of employment. Unless he had some other problem such as gambling or drugs (hope not) then I dont see why he could not hook up with former players or even coaches with some sort of job.

Quote Originally Posted by stuball888 View Post
    What I dont understand is why these guys dont use their college connections or even pro connections to get some sort of employment. Unless he had some other problem such as gambling or drugs (hope not) then I dont see why he could not hook up with former players or even coaches with some sort of job.
    We shoudn't assume he has a problem like that without knowing (not saying that you were assuming). Although it's often unfortunately who you know more than what you know, you still need to know SOMETHING. You still need some sort of marketable skills, especially in the current economy. There are only so many coaching/training type of jobs to go around, and all they know is football (or basketball - because this sort of thing happens to ex-NBA players too).

The average career in the NFL is down to about 2.8 years, so if you're hurt or you're cut, and you're not that good to begin with (and of course, the money isn't alway guaranteed in the NFL)... and if you weren't playing that long, didn't make as much as people think EVERYONE in the NFL makes, and you either didn't finish your degree or had completed one that doesn't help much in the "real" world, you're suddenly stuck pawning our Super Bowl ring because you've run out of options - IF you were fortunate enough to be on a team like the Pats to receive one (otherwise, you sell whatever else).

I know what you mean. Its too bad because I know from talking to Ricky that he is a nice guy.