JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Iona.

Default Re: Iona.

Biggest blown lead in NCAA tournament history. Choke? That's a choke.
    2002, 2005, and 2014 ECRHA Champions. twitter.com/HofstraHockey

Quote Originally Posted by HofstraHockey View Post
    Biggest blown lead in NCAA tournament history. Choke? That's a choke.
    Sad but true. Now the committee will come under even more fire for taking Iona, who have lost several big leads (MC, Siena) this yr.

BTW, Washington won the reg season of the fantastic pac12 and got snubbed, much like drexel.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg1 View Post
    Sad but true. Now the committee will come under even more fire for taking Iona, who have lost several big leads (MC, Siena) this yr.

BTW, Washington won the reg season of the fantastic pac12 and got snubbed, much like drexel.
    Yup, I think they were the first BCS school ever to win its league and not make the tourney.

All three were comparable according to Sagarin ratings:

Iona 52, Drexel 56, Washington 62

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Pride Fan View Post
    I think even you know how ridiculous that sounds, but you don't want to admit it. That's fine. Getting the job done? Certainly not. But, definitely no choke when they win 19 straight and finally lose the way they did, on the final shot, against the two seed, basically on the road, down 15 earlier in that game or not. Choking would have been losing in the semis to the four seed (like Iona in the MAAC tourney).
    Looks like I spoke too soon.

Blowing a 55-31 lead with 4:34 left in the first half and losing 78-72 in the NCAA tourney makes losing in the MAAC semis look like nothing.

55 points in 15:26, followed by 17 over the final 24:34.

Now, THAT'S a choke.

As I said here after we beat Iona when Cluess admitted that his team was more concerned with securing tickets than playing us... Cluess is a great coach, but he has a lot to learn about guarding a talented team against complacency.

This was the same team that beat Siena at MSG 95-59, then three weeks later, led at Siena 20-2, before losing 65-62.

But, it's okay, the MAAC is a two-bid league this year, so they still have their 15 seed going against Ohio State to make sure they're not yet again, a one-and-done league.
    Last edited by Proud Pride Fan; 03-14-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Ha ha...yeah, that is a humongous gag, but at least BYU winning made me look good...

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-your-bracket/

Because if Iona plays Drexel's OOC schedule this year, they're not even considered - winning the MAAC doesn't help them at all in that case. They go to the NIT.

On the other hand, despite playing as poor an OOC schedule as they did, Drexel was not only considered by the committee, but widely considered a big snub by everyone else, despite that OOC schedule. So, the stronger CAA (even in a down year) put Drexel in a mix that Iona would never have been in, had the Gaels played Drexel's OOC schedule.
    So the regular season champs of the fantastic CAA who should have been in the NCAA tournament end up a THREE seed in the NIT. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by HU76 View Post
    So the regular season champs of the fantastic CAA who should have been in the NCAA tournament end up a THREE seed in the NIT. Impressive.
    You can read into that but the NIT has never been about trying to seed teams the most fairly. It's all about giving the BCS schools the highest seeds so they can make the most money in the NIT Final Four at MSG. Example: 18-14 Tennessee, with some very weak OOC wins, is a #1 seed.

I can't decide what will be a better game in the NCAA tourney though: Wichita State vs. VCU or Ohio State vs. Loyola (MD).

I can't decide what will be a better game in the NCAA tourney though: Wichita State vs. VCU or Ohio State vs. Loyola (MD).

Need some help ?

You can read into that but the NIT has never been about trying to seed teams the most fairly. It's all about giving the BCS schools the highest seeds so they can make the most money in the NIT Final Four at MSG. Example: 18-14 Tennessee, with some very weak OOC wins, is a #1 seed.

Either one is better than watching Drexel play in the NIT.

BTW, Vermont just beat Lamar.

Either one is better than watching Drexel play in the NIT.
    Uh no, not either one, because the MAAC tourney champ has a game with Ohio State as a 15 seed, while the CAA tourney champ has a very winnable game as a 12 seed, coming off of a Final Four run.

But, maybe you're right on Drexel. Watching Iona complete the biggest choke in NCAA tourney history was probably a lot more amusing that watching Drexel play in the tourney.

BTW, Vermont just beat Lamar.
    Yes, I watched that one too - it's not news, but thank you. And, that's what you're going with? LOL
    Stony Brook was a better win that that. They beat them because they got to play them. That's what happens when you don't even get one of the top two 16 seeds out of the AE and you're relegated to one of the lower 16 seeds. LOL - Will they even be competitive against UNC?

Since we're informing each other of outcomes in games tonight though, here's an NIT score for you:

Drexel 81, UCF 56