HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Parents Weekend Crowd

As we all know, Parents' weekend provides by far the worst atmosphere of the year. It is a full stadium of fans that act like they're in Augusta watching the Masters. This past weekend, I realized that at other schools (VT, ECU, UNC, etc.), this doesn't happen. You really can't tell the difference on Parents' Weekend (Or "family weekend" or whatever the hell it is now) vs. any other game of the year.

Why is that? What are we doing wrong?
    James Madison University: Yeah, it's true..... even our alumni are hot.

Default Re: Parents Weekend Crowd

Quote Originally Posted by "Be An Athlete" View Post
    As we all know, Parents' weekend provides by far the worst atmosphere of the year. It is a full stadium of fans that act like they're in Augusta watching the Masters. This past weekend, I realized that at other schools (VT, ECU, UNC, etc.), this doesn't happen. You really can't tell the difference on Parents' Weekend (Or "family weekend" or whatever the hell it is now) vs. any other game of the year.

Why is that? What are we doing wrong?
    We allow parents to sit with their kids.

The game is earlier than the rest, which cuts down on tailgating so the kids are typically more sober (and to prevent them making an arse of themselves in front of their parents). You also have parents sitting in many of the student seats, which spreads out the kids, taking away some of that mob mentality. Unlike the "bigger" schools, where parents often may have attended the school and supported the teams, we still struggle to get past our ambivalent stage and many of the parents have no vested interest in the team. That's what I think, anyway.
    FIRE BOURNE! FIRE KING!
    Is Kenny allowed to coach both the men's and the women's team?
    JMU Reprazent - Dawg Pound style!

(Disclaimer: The beliefs stated in my posts are my own and should not be attributed to any outside influence. Some might be posted under the influence, however...)

Plus at those larger stadiums the "family" represents a smaller percentage of the total loud fan base.
    Sell this thing out! Godwin side = another year of Stadium cam!

Quote Originally Posted by JMUETC View Post
    Plus at those larger stadiums the "family" represents a smaller percentage of the total loud fan base.
    Bingo

BAA is comparing apples and oranges. JMU parents are most likely not JMU fans and thus know nothing about JMU to get into the game. Plus, you are comparing our 15,000 person family weekend crowds with schools that 50,000+

We arent doing anything wrong. Plus, having had a brother that went to ECU...they say the same thing: "Parents Weekend is the worst crowd of the year."

Quote Originally Posted by DolleyMadison View Post
    JMU parents are most likely not JMU fans and thus know nothing about JMU to get into the game.
    That's was thinking. I'm hoping that as the number of JMU alums increases, this problem will go away.
    James Madison University: Yeah, it's true..... even our alumni are hot.

I wonder if it'll be better tomorrow. You never know.

Maybe the stadium won't even empty out after halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
    I wonder if it'll be better tomorrow. You never know.

Maybe the stadium won't even empty out after halftime.
    Their parents' presence will make it more likely that they stick around. Also, the early gametime cuts back on pre-game tailgating ... so maybe you get people who just show up without partaking? Who knows.

I do think in the last few years, the crowd has been "better" than it used to be. Could it be better? Absolutely! I do think the passion of the students has increased over the years and has been rubbing off. I think the more time goes by, the better it will be.
    But it will NEVER be what the other games are in relation to noise.

To be quite honest, we, as a fanbase (parents included), are simply just getting used to this level of fandom... this level of football. I expect Parents Weekends will get marginally better season after season until we won't have to have this discussion every year. Each year, parents that 'experienced' JMU football in it's current manifestation will replace those that did not have quite the same experience and/or passion for it.