HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Default Re: Mens Basketball Recruiting Master Thread

Well, April 11th started the spring basketball signing season for the class entering this fall and, sadly, it appears we have nothing brewing. With such a crying need for an additional talent for the 2012-13
    season and a scholarship available we have failed to sign anybody.

We, up to now anyway, seem to be striking out in the transfer area too. Navy's second leading scoring as a freshman (15.2 ppg), a 6-5 forward, is transferring to Richmond and Rice University's freshman starting point guard, the freshman player of the year in their conference, is, according to this morning's Daily Press, transferring to either Virginia or Virginia Tech (alas, no W&M in the picture).

Here are two outstanding freshman players from very good academic schools (Navy and Rice) coming to the state and we're nowhere, nowhere in the picture. Very sad.

And nothing new buzzed about Rodney Williams. We like him, but by now there are probably 15 others
    who like him too. He's a fine prospect, exactly the kind of player we need to sign for 2013-14.

The W&M annual Basketball Dinner is Saturday evening...perhaps somebody will pick up some information with a spark of hope. We could all use it.

Not a lot we can do about transfers. I think we're pretty much at the mercy of the player; no contact is allowed until the player contacts us.
    Bleed Green & Gold.

This is just how it is.

I am not sure of the importance of the April 11 date with regard to new recruits. As of April 15, none of the other CAA schools have announced anything about their recruit verbals/signings. Anybody know the facts??

April 11 is the start of the signing period. It doesn't end then or mean we don't have anything brewing. I'd rather they not use the scholly than settle for someone that they don't feel can contribute at this level. My guess is they have some offers out to some kids hoping to go to a big conference, with the hope that those schools will have filled that position. May work, may not... Recruiting is a tough business. Like I said, I just don't want them to settle for an iffy kid just to fill a slot.

The late signing period is from April 11 to May 16. As of last night, we have no potential late signees. That is not to say something might not happen, but it is doubtful at this point. The staff is working on next year's class.

Banquet was quite enjoyable. The Seniors all gave enjoyable talks. Over 100 showed up for the festivities. Howard, Rum, Pavlov and Gaillard named captains.
    One Tribe! One Family!

basketball team has as many captains as the football team? interesting

Quote Originally Posted by TribeInTheBurg View Post
    Not a lot we can do about transfers. I think we're pretty much at the mercy of the player; no contact is allowed until the player contacts us.
    Stunned that Shaver's phone wouldn't be ringing off the hook with players wanting to play here.

All of the Seniors are Team Captains - standard proceedure for Tribe basketball. And I am very much OK with that.

It appears that the April 11 - May 14 "Late signing period" is for kids who are High School Seniors now and will be incoming freshmen at a College this coming Fall. In other words, the dregs of last years recruiting class. It is unlikely that kids who have not been signed by now would be able to contribute much to the Tribe for the 2012-2013 season, if ever.

Do transfer player/students have the same window [Apr 11-May 14] to express interest and receive an offer from another school? [It seems like the past few months I have read about dozens of players intending the transfer to another school].

Twitter :

"William and Mary along with Charleston Southern is coming to see Rian Holland of South View (Hope Mills) tomorrow. @RianHolland "

Holland is a 2013 PG/SG out of Fayetteville, NC. 6'0 tall, and excellent shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by 62Indian View Post
    All of the Seniors are Team Captains - standard proceedure for Tribe basketball. And I am very much OK with that.
    My only concern, and I have not asked about it, is that it appears that Kyle is forging his "redshirt" year. If not, he would be a redshirt Junior, and not a Senior Captain, next season.

Anybody heard anything??
    One Tribe! One Family!