NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Drexel in 40 Years...

The most recent Master Plan released in 2007 can be found here:
    http://www.drexel.edu/facilities/design/masterPlan/

11 buildings were to be constructed, of which 3 have been built (2 dorms and Rec Center), 1 is almost complete (Papadakis Integrated Science Bldg.) and 1 is scheduled for construction (new LeBow Bldg.).

The North Academic Building, a new parking garage next to the Hess Lab, West Wing to the Rush Building, Armory, retail in front of MacAlister and Creese and the Hotel/Conference center never were/are in planning(?) built.

A lot of the proposed landscaping that was proposed has yet to be completed also. I am sure that the recession has played a large part of missing the mark on many of the projects.

Quote Originally Posted by bmf25 View Post
    Drexel is playing catchup in the campus development department. If this master plan was completed in 2011 we'd be an extremely competitive institution in regards to recruiting students.

After visiting a bunch of schools prior to selecting a graduate school, I've noticed how bad Drexel must appear to applicants. We are falling behind compared to other Top 100 institutions.
    When you think that the school almost went belly-up in the 90s, what is available now is pretty remarkable. I figure from 97-02 was the re-stabilization period, 02-07 was upgrading the physical plant of the university and 07-12 was to be the beginning of an expansion period that was interrupted by the recession and death of Papadakis. This new plan that is currently being developed seems to be taking that expansion and really running with it over the course of the next thirty years. If completely built out, it would completely transform the university.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    Y'all see that JMU is doing a new arena? And Towson seems to be moving ahead with theirs. We'll soon have the CAA's oldest arena by far -- and not in a cool, historic way like Northeastern or Penn.
    Yeah, isn't that great? We are already behind, and now we will be even further behind. Something needs to be done in a well thought out manner (I don't think the DAC renovation fits that). Successful athletic programs generate excitement on campus, which creates pride in your school, which ultimately creates donations from alumni.

Since the new Lebow building is 100% going to be built, I think the next CRITICAL new construction should be a new student union on the Firestone property. We can't have our new Business school with a Firestone auto care center across street.

Quote Originally Posted by bmf25 View Post
    Since the new Lebow building is 100% going to be built, I think the next CRITICAL new construction should be a new student union on the Firestone property. We can't have our new Business school with a Firestone auto care center across street.
    You also can't build a student union on property that you don't own.
    D-D-D-D, R-R-R-R, E-E-E-E, X-EL, X-EL, DREX-EL, DREX-EL, FIGHT, TEAM, FIGHT!

Please put bmf on your ignore list and don't bother responding to him.

You can't renovate or build a new basketball facility with money you don't have, but we've been discussing that for years.

I guess the point to my post re: arena is that collectively, we can help move the program forward, be it DAC renovation, Armory, or something else. What that means functionally, I'm not sure, but with any capital raise, having a group of people willing to work together and back a vision is step 1.
    "No one, and I mean no one, comes into our house, and pushes us around."

Quote Originally Posted by DrachenFire View Post
    When you think that the school almost went belly-up in the 90s, what is available now is pretty remarkable. I figure from 97-02 was the re-stabilization period, 02-07 was upgrading the physical plant of the university and 07-12 was to be the beginning of an expansion period that was interrupted by the recession and death of Papadakis.
    Really, 92-93 was rock bottom. 94-95 was the stabilization, under Chuck Pennoni. **** was pretty dire back then. When Taki came in, in 1995, things started moving pretty quickly.

I think you're pretty dead on about the rest.
    =====
    “We want to wear you down,’’ Flint said. “We want to punch you in the face and you say, ‘Ok’ and take a knee.’’

After seeing Towson's video of their future arena, regardless of how corny, I must admit I am rather jealous. Things are rapidly changing in the CAA with the tenured coaches of Larranaga, Taylor, and now Smart coupled with the football and facilities of all the other schools, how long is it until the band breaks up and reforms without Drexel?

I think Birdsfan makes some valid points.

When the facility improvements are complete for those schools in the process, Drexel will now be at the bottom with GSU, who, however, possesses a football team. I'd love to see the Armory opposed to DAC renovations, but it seems like the time is fast approaching to determine if Drexel is in it and committed to the CAA. As of right now, it seems like the writing is on the wall. Without appropriate commitment, Drexel may find itself left out of the seemingly inevitable A-10 - CAA football merging and alignment.

It may not be difficult to leave a few programs out when you are forming two conferences from 26 schools.

What happened to the corporate sponsor that was supposedly going to fund the Armory project? Can we find another corporate sponsor for a new project? Maybe Comcast, Vanguard, or a Philadelphia based health insurance company would be interested in funding the project for naming rights and advertisements.