HU
JMU
NU
TU
UNCW
WM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default It all makes sense now...

In 2006, George Mason traveled to Wichita State for the Bracket Buster and won a tight, hard fought game on national TV, which certainly elevated their profile.
    In 2011, VCU traveled to Wichita State for the Bracket Buster and won a tight, hard fought game on national TV, which certainly elevated their profile.

In 2006, George Mason got an at-large as the 11 seed in the upper right corner of the bracket, with 23 wins on the season, and were roundly criticized by the talking heads.
    In 2011, VCU got an at-large as the 11 seed in the upper right corner of the bracket, with 23 wins on the season, and were roundly criticized by the talking heads.

In 2006, George Mason won their 6-11 matchup against a BCS team with 21 wins who went 10-8 in conference and lost their first game in their conference tournament.
    In 2011, VCU won their 6-11 matchup against a BCS team with 21 wins who went 10-8 in conference and lost their first game in their conference tournament.

In 2006, George Mason won their 3-11 2nd round matchup against a BCS team with 7 losses and split with the #1 team in the country.
    In 2011, VCU won their 3-11 2nd round matchup against a BCS team with 7 losses and split with the #1 team in the country.

In 2006, George Mason won their Sweet 16 game against the winner of the 7-10 who upset the #2 seed in the 2nd round for the opportunity to face the #1 seed in the regional final.
    In 2011, VCU plays their Sweet 16 game against the winner of the 7-10 who upset the #2 seed in the 2nd round for the opportunity to face the #1 seed in the regional final.

Cue twilight music...

Default Re: It all makes sense now...

must be the supermoon aligning with the super11seed from the supermid-major

Nice post. Let's get em Joey Dishes!

I was thinking of some similar parallells as I as watching FSU dismantle ND in the second half last night, because I was thinking of how Mason didn't have to play a 2 seed and got #7 Wichita State, which as you said, they already beat, to get to an Elite 8. I was thinking how both were no the bubble, thought not to be selected before each got in as an 11... each beats a 6 an a 3 (though Mason didn't have to first beat an 11 like VCU), and then I thought... hmmm, now like Mason in '06, VCU doesn't have to go through a 2 seed either... in each case, that might have been easier though -- #2 Tennessee almost lost to #15 Winthrop that year and Wichita State might have been a tougher team to beat... and FSU, with their D, is tougher to beat than ND.

So, I was thiking along the same lines as you... BUT... the extra things you threw in and the way you laid it all out is GREAT!!! Nice job!! Hope the regionals end the same way for the Rams.

You'd think VCU could at least be original.

Even more so, that #1 seed is the second ranked #1 seed (UCONN after Duke, KU after OSU).

i just felt it move.

It's all about that bracketbuster with Wichita State. I really think that is what VCU in the dance this year.

VCU is having a heck of a run. I also think that USC game helped them advance. Giving them confidence.
    Last edited by MasonNation9000; 03-22-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myorangecrush View Post
    must be the supermoon aligning with the super11seed from the supermid-major

Nice post. Let's get em Joey Dishes!

Agree, very nice post listing all the similarities.

I too can hear the twilight zone music, or given the full moon effect, perhaps Zevon's "Werewolf's of London"

Keep it going Rams!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYqg...eature=related

"Don't be an idiot son, I can't coach idiots" ~Mickey Matthews

Actually, I think that it was the dental work that Ed Nixon received during the CAA title game, courtesy of Dr. Hassell.

And I say that only half facetiously. Up to that point in the season, no one was questioning VCU's talent but lots of folks were questioning their toughness. Ed Nixon showed the Rams what toughness looks like. It wasn't enough to pull out a win in Richmond, but there's been no stopping them ever since.

Unfortunately, Dr. Hassell is no longer taking appointments in the CAA. But the Rams ought to send him a thank you note for the service.
    Fortunate to be an adopted Monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewFromSec102 View Post
    Actually, I think that it was the dental work that Ed Nixon received during the CAA title game, courtesy of Dr. Hassell.

And I say that only half facetiously. Up to that point in the season, no one was questioning VCU's talent but lots of folks were questioning their toughness. Ed Nixon showed the Rams what toughness looks like. It wasn't enough to pull out a win in Richmond, but there's been no stopping them ever since.

Unfortunately, Dr. Hassell is no longer taking appointments in the CAA. But the Rams ought to send him a thank you note for the service.
    are you saying we should be thanking ODU for our run? hahahaha... in all honesty we should be thanking the conference. Playing teams like Mason, ODU, Drexel, Hofstra and JMU has prepared this team to make a run against fantastic teams. We've had the talent all year but we just hadn't gelled. We've finally come together and are damn dangerous right now.
    #2bids4CAA

Drexel will be dancing.