PDA

View Full Version : Maine

TMC
10-12-2008, 10:21 AM
This has the potential to get real ugly. The Black Bears ran the ball on a big Delaware squad in the Hen house. We had trouble with a non-scholarship running game.

I can't fault the defensive players in the coming weeks. In fact I feel for them. They are being asked to do the impossible for the remaining stretch. You can't give up 30 lbs a man week after week. The O and Specials have to step it up and give the D a fighting chance.

Uncle Buck
10-12-2008, 10:38 AM
BS Chuck, i can fault the defense, not becuase of size, but lack of technique. All i saw yesterday was our defense magnitizing (if that's a word) on blocks and not getting off of them. Maine will run the ball because they have some good talent and have always played a physical game, defense will have to show something they haven't all season...consistency up front.

My bigger concern, the Maine defense which is physical and looks to me like they will completely overmatch our offensive line. They get after it and this could mean big problems for CC who still takes bad sacks and holds the ball too much.

Our only hope, Maine's QB Farkes went down with an injury and the Black Bears might have to use their second string QB who at one time was a starter. He looks very athletic, but he didn't look as good throwing the ball. If the defense could rise to the challenge, forcing Maine to the air might be our only hope.

TMC
10-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm not giving the D a pass up to this point. It's the remaining stretch against much bigger CAA squads I'm talking about. The schedule is brutal. NE is the only glimmer of hope.

I'm well aware of the short comings (no pun intended). I sat there with you watching a lack of containment, large cushions, poor angles and the like. I just think even if you correct these things, they will still get blown off the ball and warn down by mid 3rd qtr.

Uncle Buck
10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm with you Chuck, it's just frustrating to see how $hitty we are at keeping contain. All of Bucknell's yards came on option plays or failure to contain the QB. From what i saw last night with Maine, they're pretty athletic on both sides and we will have our hands full. The schedule definitely does not get any easier, Cohen and Co. will have their work cut out for them. I just want to see how we respond to Maine's physical level of play. They looked more physical than JMU did IMO and we rolled over down there.

Bull Fan
10-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Hofstra has been killed on the option for years, this should be nothing new. How much option did Bucknell throw at them?

HU76
10-12-2008, 12:06 PM
This has the potential to get real ugly. The Black Bears ran the ball on a big Delaware squad in the Hen house. We had trouble with a non-scholarship running game.

A quick point about this "non-scholarship" thing. Exactly how many players at Bucknell do you think are paying to go to school? Certainly none of the key players. The Patriot and Ivy Leagues like to appear that they have a more pure academic environment than the rest of the NCAA by saying they do not give athletic scholarships. Instead they just package the players with other grants and they get a free ride anyway.

TMC
10-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I know about the grant and aid game. Don't try to compare Patriot League to CAA. Bottom line, they don't have near the equivalent of a full CAA boat of rides. We shouldn't give up 31 to a mid level (1-2) PL team.

JoeAlum
10-12-2008, 12:58 PM
A quick point about this "non-scholarship" thing. Exactly how many players at Bucknell do you think are paying to go to school? Certainly none of the key players. The Patriot and Ivy Leagues like to appear that they have a more pure academic environment than the rest of the NCAA by saying they do not give athletic scholarships. Instead they just package the players with other grants and they get a free ride anyway.[

Absolutely correct. My daughter played soccer for Brown. No quality Ivy player pays full freight. They just call it something else. Not to say the Patriot League is up to the CAA in F'ball talent but they do have ways to get the players that they really want.

Uncle Buck
10-12-2008, 02:57 PM
While scholarships do make a difference, teams from the Patriot as well as other "non-scholarship" leagues just call it need based aid. They always figure out a way to get their player. We did pretty well as a "non-scholarship" team back in the mid 90's, my concern lies more in the fact that we just don't seem to stretch out running plays. This is a problem against any team. I see Maine playing more smashmouth off tackle than anything else. Our d-line better eat their wheaties, they'll need them this week.

All in all, we let up way too many rushing yards to call it an acceptable effort. The game should have been put away in the third quarter and we almost let them back in. We've yet to play a complete game with all three phases working. Hey, at least we didn't have any kicks blocked, though the snaps were consistently low.

HU76
10-12-2008, 08:01 PM

I know about the grant and aid game. Don't try to compare Patriot League to CAA. Bottom line, they don't have near the equivalent of a full CAA boat of rides. We shouldn't give up 31 to a mid level (1-2) PL team.

You're right. My point is that they aren't exactly Marist either. I guess I just got tired of the guys on BisonVision mentioning about a hundred times how they didn't have scholarships. Football in the Patriot and Ivy Leagues is very well funded.

Uncle Buck
10-13-2008, 09:07 AM

You're right. My point is that they aren't exactly Marist either. I guess I just got tired of the guys on BisonVision mentioning about a hundred times how they didn't have scholarships. Football in the Patriot and Ivy Leagues is very well funded.

76, did you buy the game as well? The guys doing BisonVision were hystrerical. Everytime Bucknell did something well that one guy would yell like he was giving birth! As for the scholarship commentary, they beat that horse to death almost to the point that i wanted to call in.

Uncle Buck
10-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Back to talking about the Maine game, their losses are understandable:

08/30/08 at Iowa L, 46-3
09/06/08 at Monmouth W, 21-17
09/13/08 vs. Stony Brook W, 28-13
09/20/08 at Richmond L, 44-17
09/27/08 vs. James Madison L, 24-10
10/11/08 at Delaware W, 27-10

The wins have not been over great teams, obviously the UD game being their biggest. They were helped by 5 UD turnovers, 3 of which just terrible throwing decisions by the QB. This game will be physical but certainly winnable. Once again it comes down to the trenches. Interesting note, they're not real big up front on the D-line but they are quick. Jovan Belcher who is listed at 6-2 228 lbs is small for a DE but he's got a no quit motor. O-line is bigger, but not huge. Game notes for the Hofstra game are not up yet, but here is the avg ht & wt for the OL and DL according to their gamenotes against UD.

Average Height & Weight on Both Lines for Maine & Delaware
Maine ________________________ _____________________ Delaware
6-5 / 288 ____________ Maine O-Line vs. Delaware D-Line ____________ 6-3 / 276
6-2 / 244 ____________ Maine D-Line vs. Delaware O-Line ____________ 6-3 / 282

With a tough performance against JMU and the win at UD, they're probably gaining confidence and may be hitting their stride. CC will have to play a mistake free game and really manage the offense. We will need a ball control effort since i like our chances on offense better than having our defense on the field.

TMC
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not looking for a win. Just be in the game. Tuck in the jerseys, look coached and stay in the game. They get warn down late...I can live with it. Come out sloppy, undisciplined and get blown out...?

bison137
10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
While scholarships do make a difference, teams from the Patriot as well as other "non-scholarship" leagues just call it need based aid. They always figure out a way to get their player.

While there is a bit of truth to this, it is way off the mark. All Patriot League players have to qualify via the FAFSA form for any aid they get. And all of the other PL schools get to review who is getting aid, their parents' income, etc on an annual basis. So only lower-income players can get anything close to a free ride, and upper income players become non-recruitable. At Bucknell right now, there are only a few players who are getting close to a full scholarship.

Bull Fan
10-13-2008, 04:50 PM
And all of the other PL schools get to review who is getting aid, their parents' income, etc on an annual basis.

With all due respect, and I certainly do respect the PL institutions, I'm sure there is a huge circle jerk... err... I mean handshake between the institutions to overlook this to a very large degree. It's in nobody's best interest to start airing each other's dirty laundry.

Uncle Buck
10-13-2008, 09:44 PM
While scholarships do make a difference, teams from the Patriot as well as other "non-scholarship" leagues just call it need based aid. They always figure out a way to get their player.

While there is a bit of truth to this, it is way off the mark. All Patriot League players have to qualify via the FAFSA form for any aid they get. And all of the other PL schools get to review who is getting aid, their parents' income, etc on an annual basis. So only lower-income players can get anything close to a free ride, and upper income players become non-recruitable. At Bucknell right now, there are only a few players who are getting close to a full scholarship.

Trust me, I work in education and know all about the FAFSA as well as the CSS profile. Without making this a financial aid lesson, schools have both federal and institutional funds that they can award. Federal aid is all based on a standard formula and comes from the info on the FAFSA to help determine the Expected Family Contribution. Colleges can also use the FAFSA info to determine how they award institutional money like grants etc. that don't have to be paid back. A lot of times, the more competitive schools also use the CSS profile, an additional source of information regarding family income which assists schools in determining the EFC and how they meet the need. I've sat through more financial aid workshops than i care to say and was also the beneficiary of an athletic grant at Hofstra back when i played. It was approximately worth 1/2 scholarship if you want to call it that, but again, it all falls under the guise of "need based." I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but sometimes a kid who can get a free ride at an FCS school which is far below Bucknell academically, may be in a position to choose the stronger school like Bucknell and take less money for the education. Obviously it makes things tougher to recruit when you don't have that scholarship in hand to give, but the belief that these kids are going to be any less of an athlete IMO doesn't hold water. I base that on experience at Hofstra when we transitioned as a non scholarship in the mid 90's to 1AA from division III.

Uncle Buck
10-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Looks like Maine will start their backup QB this week as Farkes is out with a shoulder injury.

http://www.wmtw.com/sports/17706056/detail.html

The kids has starting experience, but it looks like he was a better runner than passer. Containing the Maine ground game will be paramount of we want to stay in this thing.

bob13
10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Only common opponent was Stony Brook-based on that alone our chances look good but we must improve our overall defense and hopefully keep up the offense.

One thing which is clear with Cory is that he doesn't have that strong an arm-no deep passes taken and everytime he throws out to the flat I invision a defender cutting in front of the receiver for an interception because of lack of zip on the ball. He has alot of guts and does throw accurately ala Pennington and not afraid to frun with the ball.

Uncle Buck
10-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Bob, the common opponent makes me feel a little better, but man, defensively we will have our hands full. As for CC's arm, my thoughts exactly about throwing into the flats. Though against URI in the final drive, he did a great job throwing 25 yards down the middle. We need more of that and less outside of the numbers.

PrideSuperfan
10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Umm are we missing the common opponent of James Madison

Maine lost 24-10
Hofstra lost 56-0

That evens out the difference in the Stony Brook game

Uncle Buck
10-15-2008, 06:53 AM
According to JMU, they also played a terrible first half against Maine.

All in all, common opponents mean very little. Some teams just have off days or in that game an off half. I think if you look at history, JMU has never really played well up there either. All in all, our offense will need ball control and our defense will need to stop their running game.

bob13
10-15-2008, 09:03 AM
good catch superfan-I missed that completely-might be because of the rose colored glasses.

Uncle Buck
10-16-2008, 02:57 PM
good catch superfan-I missed that completely-might be because of the rose colored glasses.

Maybe i have them on as well...i'm feeling a win for the gridders.

Uncle Buck
10-17-2008, 05:11 PM
According to the Maine 2 deep, here is how they size-up on the line.

Average Height & Weight on Both Lines for Maine & Hofstra
Maine ________________________ __________________Hofstra
6-5 / 288 _______Maine O-Line vs. Hofstra D-Line ____6-2 / 259
6-2 / 244 _______Maine D-Line vs. Hofstra O-Line ____6-3 / 287

They are not huge up front, tall yes, but not huge. Nice to see a d-line smaller than ours, but they look much more talented and much more aggressive than we have.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 03:17 PM
And we're down 7-0 2 minutes in as we let Main waltz about 70 yards for a TD on blown coverage.

Good return, CC picked on first pass (play), Maine 1st and goal at our 1. Looks like we came ready to play.

Sudden change and we have to burn a TO since Zach Carney was late getting on the field. You have to love this team. Less than three minutes in and we're about to go down by 14...no wait, untouched into the endzone, 13-0. :roll: At least they missed the XP

Flying Dutchmen
10-18-2008, 03:34 PM
13-7 We go for 4th and 1 on the 8, TD to Aaron Weaver.

Flying Dutchmen
10-18-2008, 03:45 PM
14-13, We're driving with ease, 4 yd option pitch to Jackolski from CC for the TD. We're playing with some life!!

Flying Dutchmen
10-18-2008, 03:49 PM
We have the the ball on the Maine 4, punter couldn't hold onto the ball 1st and Goal, Still the 1st quarter!

Flying Dutchmen
10-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Couldn't punch it in, Williams FG 17-13.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Unreal that we got 17 points back...sign of life from this team. At least they showed some moxy.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Benjamin at QB!!!

CC twisted a knee

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:10 PM
CC on the sidelines getting a stretch for the hamstring

Jackolski even took some snaps. Maine has the ball now 3 and 7 at their 23

TMC
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM
What?!

Flying Dutchmen
10-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Sack Smith! Maine forced to punt. Let's see who comes out under center.

Flying Dutchmen
10-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Probst burns the redshirt.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:16 PM
HUGE sack by the HU D.

Loss of 12...Maine punts after a delay of game. Ball spotted at the 11 now, kicking from endzone.

Probst warming up on the sideline. 1st and 10 HU at the HU 43....Probst coming on.

3 and out, short punt. Caciano gets air but zero distance.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Like they said, Probst could always redshirt next year. Hopefully defense steps up the rest of this game. Another 3 and out would be good...and it is good.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:29 PM
HU up 17-13 at the half, really should be 17-7 if we didn't throw the ridiculous pick.

Buries out...again and CC out for the game as well...going for an MRI.

TMC
10-18-2008, 04:39 PM
You would think HU was the only team to ever have an injury if you listen to the RHU guys. Poor poor Dave Cohen. Give me a break.

Kentucky Mule
10-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Forget about redshirts. Throw the ball. Let it all hang out!

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I'll give it to him this time, with CC out, that means if Probst god forbid goes down, we burn the reshirts of all three freshmen.

We have to cut him a little slack...we're down to #3 at QB. But great players step up in difficult situations.

Defense has to play big, at least the WRHU guys realize that.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Great return by Weaver to the Maine 35, keep it on their side of the field.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Probst nice completion to Riley...1st down at the Maine 20

2 and 8 at the 18 after a short completion

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 04:57 PM
4th down, big FG attempt.

Probst doing a nice job managing the game so far.

31 yd FG is GOOD!!!....NO HOLDING!!! Re-kick. Now a 41 yarder and the kick is...GOOD!!!!

20-13

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Maine driving, 1st and 10 at the HU 35...Defense can't collapse now.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
HU goes on 4th and 1 from the Maine 39 and gets stuffed. Dumb call, punt and pin Maine deep.

Black Bears now at our 12 after a big pass play.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Big play leads to a Maine TD and a 20-20 tie.

Defense can't come up big and the o-line is not who i want to rely on.

Jackolski icing down his right hip, f'ing wonderful. Probst....baptism by fire.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 05:21 PM
HU doing nothing on offense now...Maine just sucking up the mo...we need to do something fast

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Big play # 3 of the day puts Maine up 27-20 on a HUGE run.

Start of the 4th, HU needs to find some mojo, we're melting like an ice cream sundae on a hot summer day.

TMC
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Fell asleep on the couch...HOFSTRA football! OT?

hofstrahoopsfan2007
10-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Lost in double OT. Missed a extra point. Gutsy effort with lots if injuries.

Uncle Buck
10-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Defense rolled over in the second half. Gotta give credit to the offense, they kept playing.

I'm excited to see Probst next week, we'll see what he brings against UD since it sounds like CC won't be available.

Kicking woes continue to kill us. And yes, Maine runs all over us in the second half, gotta wonder how many came in the second half. Ah, thank you WRHU, 250 yards in the first half! :shock:

D-line, a f'ing embarrassment when push comes to shove.

TMC
10-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Have to be happy that they showed some fight. The lack of run defense was predictable. In the end, they more than made a game of it.

stuball888
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Like I predicted, Christopher getting hurt cause too many plays relying on him running against bigger defenses. So what happens he gets injured and burn Probst freshman redshirt. Let see mulitple injuries to the offense but we score 40 points. The defense which is almost fully intact gets burned again. No excuses. Special teams still a disaster, we can stop the run as we continue to beat ourselves. Record stands at 3-4. To brutal OT losses against Albany and Maine. We should be 5-2. How many times are we going to start the first quarter like we are not ready to play? Does anyone have the answer? Positives are the receivers as a unit and Probsts valient effort.

TMC
10-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Stu,

They are what they are. Cohen needs to go get some size...broken record. Specials failures, slow start... coaching.

Who cares about burning a redshirt year? He's got a scholarship, play him. Three years in and we are stock piling green bananas? :roll:

Bull Fan
10-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Interesting sidenote today... Hofstra is the only road team in the conference that didn't win today. Very interesting. And not a knock on Hofstra, just would been a very intriguing stat to look up: when was the last time during ANY conference schedule did each road team win in the same week? I'll post up my observations on the Richmond - UMass game in the other thread.

Uncle Buck
10-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Stu,
Maine was a smaller d-line so not sure if it was size, but they do play physical. Bottom line, great effort by the offense with injury after injury, they hung tough and gave us a chance to win. D played lights out in the first half with the exception of the first drive. Second half was a different story. Adjustments, anything, 250+ on the ground in a half, sheesh.

Anyhow, this was a game we had control of and defense failed to step up when needed. Bring on UD who will be another test but struggling with their offense. Our defense may be just what the doctor ordered for them.

Kind of looking forward to next week though, i'd like to see Probst in person for a whole game. His numbers were not bad at all coming off the bench and he definitely showed some skill and escapability from what the WRHU guys were saying.

stuball888
10-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Guys I dont know. This was not a moral victory like some of you suggesting. yes probst had a good game and Lewis took advantage of his physical skills. But this was maine, not JMU or Richmond. We should have won this game. Maine started their second string QB and second string tailback. Our D could not stop them. Again no excuses. Mistakes are the same as beginning of the season. Even starting slo was what last season was all about. Need to see what Probst can do the rest of the season and see how he developes.

Uncle Buck
10-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Easy Stugatz, nobody is saying we're happy with a moral victory, but it was nice to see us overcome some adversity. This team is what it is and i don't think any of us believes it's that good. It's just interesting that we were able to run the ball and throw the ball against a team who i thought was pretty solid defensively. On the downside, our kicking game and defense killed us. You're right, we seem to sleepwalk the first drive of every game and spot teams points. We have yet to play a complete game where offense, defense and specials come together.

It just would have been nice to get the win, maybe we can pick one up this week.

bob13
10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Cory had to rely more on his running since his arm strength was average at best. Hate to see anyone injured but cory's injury may be blessing in disguise in long run (no pun intended). Probst has much stronger arm (have seen him in practice) and stats proved it. Looks like we may have lost most of our running game-hopefully Jak injury is minor.

following notes from coach:

I am really proud of the heart and effort our team showed at Maine on Saturday. For the second time this season the Pride lost in overtime. The players fought hard, but our run defense did not get the job done and we fell 41-40.

It appears we have lost quarterback Cory Christopher and running back Justine Buries for the remainder of the season. We are still waiting to see about Brock Jackolski as all three did not play from the midpoint of the second quarter on. Freshman Steve Probst played well in his first college action at quarterback, running for 65 yards and throwing three touchdown passes (14-of-20 for 136 yards on the day). Ottis Lewis hauled in nine passes for 77 yards and two touchdowns.

Freshmen linebacker Chris Edmond and safety Greg Melendez led the way on defense with 13 and 10 tackles, respectively. Freshman defensive end Quincy Barr had a sack and a tackle for a loss.

We are home this Saturday when we play Delaware at 3 p.m.

Thank you for your support of Hofstra Football. Have a great week.

With Pride,

Dave

Hofstra Football......Tradition Never Graduates !!!

Dave Cohen
Head Football Coach

Uncle Buck
10-20-2008, 09:43 AM
I would be interested in finding out what Cory's injury actually was. First they said knee, then the hammy, also, they never mentioned what Buries went out with. You know, certain injuries can be traced back to poor strength and conditioning. Not pointing fingers, but something to think about.

Bull Fan
10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
We have become a jaded group. :?

bob13
10-20-2008, 01:03 PM
I would be interested in finding out what Cory's injury actually was. First they said knee, then the hammy, also, they never mentioned what Buries went out with. You know, certain injuries can be traced back to poor strength and conditioning. Not pointing fingers, but something to think about.

I believe newspaper article said it was a hip injury-maybe it was all three.

stuball888
10-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Burries has had Hammy problems since camp. I wonder if he could redshirt since he only played in one game? He is a grad student I believe from New Mexico State. he is 6ft1 and 220 pounds. He is that big back we have needed in goaline situtations.

stuball888
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Bull fan, I dont know about jaded but definitely higher expectations. I am not presonally attacking any one player or coach. Injuries happen. Just frustrated by the team blowing chances to win a game. Another thing I have noticed is that Probst had 16 carries in that game. wat too many, We dont run an option offense. Is this by design or jst the way the plays have developed. Question here is what happens if he continues to run and he also gets injured. Simple, Sideras comes in and we blow his redshirt. I am not talking about green bananas TMC. If he blows the red**** at least give him more than half a season. For him to blow a redshirt with only 2 games left would be criminal.

Bull Fan
10-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Bull fan, I dont know about jaded but definitely higher expectations.

Speak for yourself, Stugotz. I am feeling jaded ;) When you can go watch a game where the DUTCH aren't playing, and enjoy it more for the sheer lack of agita, you are jaded.

Kentucky Mule
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
From what I understand, Buries broke his lower leg in two places. He was just coming back. He ran over several tacklers on the play he broke his leg. I wish him well in the future. He was definitely a player we needed to play the entire season. His injury had nothing to do with conditioning.

TMC
10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I hear you Stu. I don't want to see Sideris loose a year with only two games to go either. That would truly be a waste. However, it is a real possibility if CC can't go. There are 5 games remaining. Why not play both young QB's ? You give up the redshirt, but you get two young guys some experience and set up next year. This year is done. How many QB's have we seen come and go before their senior years? There is no guarantee that either would see that 5th year you are saving them for.

Uncle Buck
10-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I hear you Stu. I don't want to see Sideris loose a year with only two games to go either. That would truly be a waste. However, it is a real possibility if CC can't go. There are 5 games remaining. Why not play both young QB's ? You give up the redshirt, but you get two young guys some experience and set up next year. This year is done. How many QB's have we seen come and go before their senior years? There is no guarantee that either would see that 5th year you are saving them for.

I don't know Chuck, if it were me, i try not to burn any more redshirts so you have them finish in a stagger. No there are no guarantees, but that's pretty much what they are used for. I say, let Probst play it out and see what happens. They mentioned one of the kids who is now a WR that was a QB last year, start getting him backup snaps. I'd feel more comfortable not risking the chance of injuring two freshman QB's, whether it's physically or mentally.

Uncle Buck
10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
From what I understand, Buries broke his lower leg in two places. He was just coming back. He ran over several tacklers on the play he broke his leg. I wish him well in the future. He was definitely a player we needed to play the entire season. His injury had nothing to do with conditioning.

That's too bad for Buries. It just seems like this is most injury bitten team i can recall here. A lot of times injuries can have a lot to do with poor conditioning. However, breaking a leg while running over tacklers isn't one of them.

TMC
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
If you are willing to play out the last two or three games with the WR at QB, then it's worth a chance. However, if you are not willing to live with the WR for at least two games, then you risk wasting the redshirt with little experience gained. It's a roll of the dice.

Uncle Buck
10-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Exactly Chuck. It's a gamble. I just can't wrap my head around burning two redshirts, but i can certainly see your point.

Flying Dutchmen
10-21-2008, 04:52 AM
If CC is done for the year, I would have no problem seeing Probst and Sidaras split time at QB. At this point it's safe to say we're not making the playoffs, so we might as well see what we have at QB. Lewis is the only significant loss on offense, so we should be more competitive next season. Why not find out who's the best man for the job right now against the top teams in the FCS?

I agree with TMC, there's a good possibility that one or even both don't finish out their tenure at Hofstra. In many cases when you bring in two highly touted QB's in one class, the one that loses the job transfers out. Even if they both stay, we like mobile QB's in our offense and they often get injured. I rather have some guys that have game experience next year just in case we have to go a stretch without the starter again.

I think Cohen wanted to redshirt these guys to get them more physically prepared for D-1 football, Talent wise, I think either guy could have started the season as the backup to Savage. CC made things happen with his feet, but he eyed down receivers, and the lack of arm strength became more evident as the season went on. Hopefully we see the future emerge in the next few weeks.

Uncle Buck
10-21-2008, 03:16 PM
While they could certainly redshirt next year or any year after, i would prefer keeping Sidaris out of the mix. From what i hear, he is the best of all the QB's and i would rather have him 4 straight years rather than break it up.