PDA

View Full Version : GAME BALLS - George Mason Game

DEdave
01-29-2004, 10:56 AM
GAME BALLS: AMES, LUNN, MAEPA

Mike Ames continued his nice January by hitting on 4 of 5 three pointers in a 22 point night. Mike added 2 assists and a steal when he played a more manageable 33 minutes. 8 of 13 from the field on a good night by him.

David Lunn returned from a game off due to illness and boy was it evident that we missed him versus UNCW on the defensive end. David had a nice 6 points, 2 assists, and 4 steals in 35 minutes to help hold GMU 28 points on 40% shooting in the second half.

Lebo Maepa came out of the woodwork to provide good minutes while Nana is out. And he delivered a very nice effort. Lebo was 4 of 5 from the floor with 6 boards and 9 points in only 16 minutes on the hardwood.
__________________________________________________ ___________
ATTA GUYS: SLATTERY, COURTNEY, OLAWOYE

Slatts again kept the offense in gear and played another good night at both ends of the court. Mike ended with 9 points, 8 assists, 3 steals and just another Mike Slattery night.

Courtney continued his progress of becoming one of UD's future leaders. Herb is a very sound player in his technique. This night he scored 9 points, had 2 steals, and 3 rebounds and continues to keep his composure and has already proved to me he belongs on the court at crunch time.

Henry continues to impress as well. Henry snared 5 boards to match his 5 points in 13 very respectable minutes of play. Something special about this guy that I like.

This team has now won 4 of their last six and is really looking like they are beginning to get in synch. Let's hope they can steal some of these upcoming road games and continue to protect the home hardwood.

Touche to the home crowd last night too. A pretty good turnout on a night where many could have chosen to stay home in their jammies. Or they could have stayed out in the front parking lot to do some ice skating. ;)

Squirel12
01-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I gotta agree with all those picks... especially Henry. We gotta get the kid a nickname. He dunks on everyone, and hard as Sh*t. He goes to hole harder than any player I've ever seen at DE

DUfunnyman
01-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Atta girl Mike!

Derb
01-29-2004, 12:04 PM
If you say his last name quickly it sounds a bit like "All the way!"

HKessin
01-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Good evaluation DEDave. The effort was there by all last night.

Leesburg Chankenstank III
01-29-2004, 01:03 PM
great game hens. You guys beat us without Nana and you beat us despite some early foul trouble. We had plenty of oppurtunities to come back when you guys were starting to miss a couple of shots, but you guys hustled backed to the defensive end and played as a TEAM--something Mason could learn from.

KenHen
01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
I have to agree with Dave on the picks. I thought Slatts ran the team well tonight, seem to have a little more freedom at times, especially in the second half, to create.

My brother-in-law made an interesting comment during the game. At one time he said that it looked like UD was playing itself, in that both teams were running down the court, passing once and shooting and then running back down the court and doing the same on the other end.

All in all, a good solid effort from start to finish, minus the crazy five point play.

Mike Rowe
01-30-2004, 09:31 AM
All in all, a good solid effort from start to finish, minus the crazy five point play.

That certainly isn't something you are going to see very often. I was afraid that was going to be the turning point of the game, but the Hens stayed the course.

BTW, does anyone else think that this team is powering it to the hoop stronger than most of the teams in the past?

KenHen
01-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Mike

I agree, I am starting to see more driving and trying to pound the ball inside. I, for one, love the baseline drive. The Freshmen are getting to the point where they are starting to play with a little more confidence. The second time around the league should be really interesting.

CB_ATC
01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
the team is really starting to gel. players are picking up the slack when they need to...I hope the team dynamics cont. to go smoothly...a road win is a must.

HENS04
01-30-2004, 05:02 PM
It's nice to see some positive remarks about the team for a change. The freshmen are really starting to get their legs under them and look like they have some confidence. This team is more athletic than any UD team in recent memory and with the freshmen bringing the most athleticism the future and the rest of the season look bright to me. Of course you are going to have the same detractors of the coach but that is normal. Look at the comments being made about Brey in ND and Wright on the Main Line. Dave, stay the course just like KC did.

HKessin
01-30-2004, 07:03 PM
KC adjusted nicely after his first year and he also had a great staff to help him along. DH is the same confused, over reactionary he has been since his opening game. You'll get positive comments on this board when there actually IS something positive to comment about. Reality is that we have an average, at best team who put out a very good effort on Wednesday.

TexasHen
01-30-2004, 07:35 PM
I always try to stay positive & things have looked good the last couple of games. Just wish we could get off the roller-coaster ride we've been on for about the last 3 years. I guess time will tell...

fro
01-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Being at the game and being a Mason fan, I am going to state the obvious: Mike Ames and Mike Slattery led your team to this victory.

Other players played key roles, but it was the outstanding play of your two guards that sealed this. The most telling statistic was Slattery having ZERO turnovers against a defense that normally forces a lot of them. Kudos to him, and then Ames went unconscious. It was a good game, and I'm looking forward to the rematch.

RockyMountainMan
01-31-2004, 10:26 AM
I'll admit I'm generally an optimist and unfortunately can't gauge this team by "seeing" them. I have to rely on radio broadcasts and word of mouth from the fans on this board.

But let's look at the season at the halfway point of the CAA season.
Nonconference: 6-3
Of the 6 wins 3 of them could have gone the other way (MSM, Loyola and AU). Admittedly this wasn't good because these were not good teams. Of the 3 losses we were in two of them and lost at the end, while the 3rd loss was against the current #3 and undefeated St. Joseph's.

Conference Home 5-0
JMU was the only easy win here, and if games were 39:58 long we would have lost two of those. And by all rights there is no way we win the W&M game down by 8 with 1:15 to play.

The second half includes UNCW, Drexel, VCU and Towson. If we were to completely hold serve at home or even go 3-1 then it comes down to:

Conference Away 0-4
Okay if we want to be a bonafide contender there is no way we should lose to Towson, and the VCU game was U-G-L-Y, the best we would have expected out of this set is 2-2.

The second half is a bit easier with Hofstra, W&M and JMU all winnable games, and an upset at ODU or GMU could put us in the top 4.

Bottom line is that we have been in all but two games all season and we've had a few breaks go our way and a few go the other way. If a few more breaks went our way, we would be 15-3 (7-2 CAA), on the other hand if a few of the breaks didn't go our way, we'd be sitting at 8-10 (3-6 CAA).

I'd look for more improvement in the 2nd half, and a few more easier wins, but overall I look for competitiveness within our conference, and we are and have been since the first year, hanging with every team in the conference.

HENS04
01-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Hkessin, just what specificaly are Henderson's faults in your opinion. Let's not talk about the first three years,because John Wooden couldn't have won with Sessoms and Hindenlang as his "big" men.

With Brey's guys (minus Pegues, Gordon, etc.) Henderson went to the AE finals andlost to Hofstra at Hofstra(as Brey did in his last year). Then UD joins the CAA a year ahead of schedule, saddled with AE players they make the semi's each year, losing both times to the eventual champion.

It's easy to criticize however, why don't you take an honest look at the entire situation that Hendrson came into before utilizing rather genralized terms as "reactionary". What the hell does that mean, specifically.

HKessin
02-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Hens04- In short, I'm a season ticketholder and can honestly say the brand of bball has declined since the arrival of Henderson. Sorry, I can't discount his first 3 years. They do count and he had talent to win. Specifically, his substitution patterns are laughable. Miss a shot, turn the ball over, out you come. That coupled with his rants on the bench and his continued overcoaching, he does little for the pure enjoyment of watching a game, win or lose. I have met David personally and he seems like a great guy but his coaching style and refusal to take responsibility for the team's actions leaves me cold. I was one of the few who really supported DH since day one but his actions have turned me off. I sincerely hope he gets things on track. When he does and I see a good product on and off the court, I'll jump on the bandwagon with all the rah rahs. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Hunter, X-man, Rowland,etc. situations. All clearly bad for the program.

Observer
02-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Any coach in this league that you would trade DH for? I don't think any of them are anything special. JMO.
Brownell is struggling at UNCW, Taylor at ODU shows me nothing in bench coaching. Larranga appears over rated. I don't think any one is clammering to take Capel away from VCU. If you can by Flint's foul mouth, maybe he's the best of them. At least he's got some fire in his gut. Maybe it's the overall competitiveness of the league that leads to these observations.
I'm not jumping ship, but it's a free country, so do what you wish.

Wolfhen
02-01-2004, 04:58 PM
HKessin, why do you bother to go to the games, if you are so disappointed in the coach and team ?

HKessin
02-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Wolfhen-Because I'm a fan and support the program. I enjoyed the GMU game and gave DeDave instant credit for his evaluation. I'm still hopeful improvement will come. There ARE some good players on this team, I just question the coaching decisions over the past 4 years. Being realistic is not pessimistic.

HENS04
02-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Hkessin, please don't this the wrong way as of course you are entitled to your own opinions. Can you tell me specifically what were the bad coaching decisions.

I can tell you that Rowland was a goner when in a game two years ago after a timeout Henderson designed a play and Rowland ran something completely different. He was pissed about Slattery eating into is PT. I'll take Slattery anyday.

Knitter was pissed about the new coach not knowing about his game when Henderson called to introduce himself to Knitter. Of course why would Henderson have known about Knitter's game when he was recruiting for DUke. Knitter is too slow to play D.

Curry was way out of shape.