PDA

View Full Version : VCU/UAB tonight

bigblue78
03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Let's not forget, VCU is playing UAB tonight in the NIT. These two teams were once bitter rivals in the Sunbelt Conference (for those of you that complain about the advantage VCU has in Richmond, it was nothing like the advantage UAB enjoyed playing on their home court in Birmingham!). The blazers were 22-10 this year but 8-9 outside of Birmingham (I told you they have an advantage there).

The probable starters:

Robert Vaden 6-5 F/G, Jr. 35.4 min/G, 41% FG, 41% 3-pt FG, 87% FT, 21.6 ppg

Channing Toney 6-5 G, Jr. 30.1 min/G 45% FG, 39% 3-pt, 84% FT, 11.1 ppg

Reggie Huffman 6-7 F, Jr. 18.9 min/G 56% FG, 49% FT, 6.1 RB, 7.2 ppg

Aaron Johnson 5-7 G, Fr. 23.7 min/G, 42% FG, 28% 3-Pt FG, 79% FT, 4.1 A, 5.0 ppg

Frank Holmes 6-9 F, SR. 12.5 min/G, 69% FG, 65% FT, 3.3 RB, 4.4 ppg

also:

Lawrence Kinnard 6-8 F, Jr. 28.4 min/G, 42% FG, 37% 3-pt FG, 71% FT, 6.8 RB, 11.2 ppg
note: possible starter.

Ed Barrios 5-11 G, Jr. 19.0 min/G, 38% FG, 46% 3-pt FG, 79% FT, 3.9 ppg

Howard Crawford 6-8 F, So. 10.5 min/g, 60% FG, 76% FT, 1.4 RB, 4.1 ppg

UAB averages 74.1 ppg (vs 66.8 for opponents), 46% FG (vs 41%), 38% 3-pt (vs 33%), 72% FT (vs 65%), 36.8 RB (vs 34.2), 14 A (vs 11) and 14.3 TO (vs 13.8).

Looks like a good matchup for VCU, UAB depends on 3-pt shooting and is prone to TOs.

Go CAA!

pandorazboxx
03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
is this an away game?

Mercury
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
is this an away game?

no

pandorazboxx
03-19-2008, 03:00 PM
good deal then. UAB isn't good on the road and VCU is tough at home. Hope you get that awful taste out of your mouths from the W&M loss. good luck tonight!!

TomGMU
03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Come on, Rams! Bring one home for the conference tonight. 8)

expendable smurf
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Good luck tonight! I assume Schuler will be covering Vaden, and I hope he is draped over him all night because that guy can shoot, just ask Kentucky. Should be a good game.

HofstraCrew
03-19-2008, 07:31 PM
does anyone know the line on the game?

JMUDUKE
03-19-2008, 08:02 PM
VCU is playing like a team whose coach is just ready to get down to Baton Rouge.

herbie369
03-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Man they look like crap.

artRAMinMN
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
VCU is playing like a team whose coach is just ready to get down to Baton Rouge.

just because it's true, doesn't mean ya have to say it

:x :oops: :wink: :?

ODUsmitty
03-19-2008, 11:05 PM
The nice part about VCU's performance tonight relates to scheduling.

With such a strong homecourt showing like this evening, the BCS schools will be much more amenable to scheduling the Rams. Hell, they may even send limos to get you to the arena on time,,,,,,,,,

Way to prove the BCS-promoters wrong tonight. NIT guarantees berths to regular-season champs. VCU performed no better than Morgan State of the MEAC, and VCU had that supposed NCAA tourney-like home-court advantage and MSU had to travel to Blacksburg. Guess the CAA really is down this year.

Oh, and if you want to see a college basketball game with Virginia teams after this weekend, I'd recommend travelling to Hooville. At least our practices target a game that is before next November.

Sound bitter? Maybe if VCU fans demonstrated 1/100th of the class WM fans did during the CAA tourney, then you might get some sympathy. You cheered Saturday when WM knocked us off like you had won the lottery. Karma is a bitch, and guess who is still playing.

Sleep well and revel in just how well you represented our fine conference in this, your oh so magical, season.

Mottman
03-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, and if you want to see a college basketball game with Virginia teams after this weekend, I'd recommend travelling to Hooville. At least our practices target a game that is before next November.

Wow...just wow... :lol:

Nothing like trashtalk from a top 150 team in the nation!

BIGCAAFAN1
03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
What an uninspiring performance by VCU. No intensity until the last 5 minutes. Maynor plays when he wants to. Way to show the CAA's quality tonight VCU. :roll:

AllHailMe
03-19-2008, 11:58 PM
This thread won't end well.

ODUBB35
03-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Uh-oh!!! Can we make this read only for a while??? :roll: :roll:

warpig
03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
i'm waiting for a vcu fan to blame their performance on getting snubbed. you have to be on the bubble to get snubbed...and they should've been realistic about the situation by being ready for an nit bid. drexel was a real snub last year...but even in their case i didn't use it as an excuse because you still have to be ready to play. we were also playing somebody out of the acc...in fact a team that made it all the way to their title game...while vcu played a conference usa team they should've been more competitive with (it was a 10 point game but vcu made it look good for the papers).

to be fair...i thought odu looked just as bad last year in their ncaa tournament game vs. butler. the game was there for the taking through the entire first half...but nobody besides gerald lee came to play. i still don't think vcu was an at-large team...but having an at-large team from the caa play that poorly the season before couldn't have helped vcu too much.

MasonCAA
03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Sound bitter? Maybe if VCU fans demonstrated 1/100th of the class WM fans did during the CAA tourney, then you might get some sympathy. You cheered Saturday when WM knocked us off like you had won the lottery. Karma is a bitch, and guess who is still playing.

I really don't understand this logic. I mean, to me it sounds like VCU was happy NOT to be facing ODU, that sounds like more respect then disrespect. As far as your comment about come to UVa to watch VA schools play...mmmm, why not just watch a pick up game between UR and VCU players, cost less and means just about as much.

With that said, VCU was clearly not the best team in the CAA this season, as much as you Mason haters would like to think so. However VCU is a VERY good team, they are going to be dangerous next year with or without Grant, and they should still be the favorites. Last night just showed a truely young team in their first post-season appearance.

GMU87
03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
With that said, VCU was clearly not the best team in the CAA this season, as much as you Mason haters would like to think so. However VCU is a VERY good team, they are going to be dangerous next year with or without Grant, and they should still be the favorites. Last night just showed a truely young team in their first post-season appearance.
Don't diminish what VCU accomplished this season. Faltering in the CAA tourney and bowing out in the first round of the NIT doesn't change the fact that they clearly were the best team in the CAA during the regular season.

A conference W-L record is what it is. Winning the conference by 3 games is a statement (winning in the post-season is a bigger statement, but still...).

ODUBB35
03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Lost in all of this...

UAB is a pretty good team. No shame here.

pandorazboxx
03-20-2008, 10:43 AM

if you think GMU was the best team, you're delusional. VCU was the best team this year in the CAA. They just faltered by a combined total of 5 points in their last two games. At least they didn't lose to Delaware when they were up by 15+ points or GSU, and they didn't get swept by UNCW. And VCU has that senior leadership, just Maynor was out of it last night and you saw what happens when the veterans disappear.

P8triotfan4life
03-20-2008, 10:52 AM
WRONG. VCU was the most CONSISTENT Team.

GMU was far and away the BEST team in the CAA this year. Don't kid yourselves..

Mason Beat VCU head to Head by 12 points, handed ODU it's worst loss in 12 seasons, held UNCW to 28% shooting in the CAA Semis, and was the only team in the CAA to defeat a Top 25 team this year.

T-Mac
03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Don't "consistent" and "best" go hand-in-hand? Look at the #1 seeds this year in the NCAA. What do they all have in common? They were the most consistent and the best teams inthe nation. A case could be made that Tennessee, although not as consistent as Memphis, was a better team due to their head-to-head win. But the committee looked at their overall resumes and determined that since Memphis was more consistent, they were indeed the better team.

If Mason were truly a better team than VCU this season, they would have only lost the regular season conference race by one game instead of three. VCU is the CAA's only reputable team this year. GMU is no better than UNCW, and only slightly better than ODU this season--unfortunately all three programs sucked by past CAA standards.

Ovis Fan
03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks to all for the love and hate. UAB put on a first half clinic for man-to-man defense and, especially, interior passing. Couldn't tell you the number of times we turned to one another and said, "Wow what awesome, passing." Rams seemed to show up in spurts during the second half. Best of luck to GMU tonight, I predit they win by 6. Same to ODU, 'narchs by 8, yes 8.

walter_williams
03-20-2008, 11:38 AM
This thread won't end well.

I laughed out loud when I read that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RamKnwldge
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I have degrees from both VCU and GMU............and I'm a huge fan of both schools. I live in Northern Va and I'm a PatDome regular.

In life, timing and luck are sometimes as (or more) important as/than skill/ability.

GMU's timing and luck were impeccable..................they suffered their bad losses during the regular season (when it hurts less).
VCU suffered a bad loss in the tourney (when it hurts the most).

VCU was 15-3 and 23-6 (w/ a 44 RPI) through 29 games (the regular season)..............clearly superior to GMU's 12-6 and 20-10 (and 62 RPI). GMU also did not have to play VCU in Richmond during the regular season..............making that 3-game regular season disparity even MORE impressive (for VCU).

Going into the CAA tourney, the only at-large candidate was VCU. VCU was clearly the superior "30-game" team.

GMU then was able to avoid VCU in Richmond (again) for the CAA tourney due to the W&M upset...............that's some very good fortune. GMU was the better "3-game" team.

GMU lost 4 of their last 7 games in the regular season.................however, their path of NU, UNCW, and W&M in the CAA tourney was quite favorable.

The odds of GMU going an entire CAA season w/out having to play VCU in Richmond are nil (it's never happened as far as I know; until this year). That's quite a bit of good luck.

VCU losing to W&M in the tourney............that's good timing (for GMU)........and some good luck to boot.

Nevertheless, both schools had great seasons...............and their current RPIs (54 and 60) reflect that.

Now, as for you internet punks................go do something productive with your lives.

Go Mason!!

RK

odusportsfan
03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
VCU obviously didn't play their best last night until it was too late but I think you have to give some credit to UAB. That is a good team that is very athletic and pass the ball very well. They return everyone next year so I could see them making a run at the top 25. They will be a tough out in the NIT.

MasonCAA
03-20-2008, 11:47 AM
If Mason were truly a better team than VCU this season, they would have only lost the regular season conference race by one game instead of three. VCU is the CAA's only reputable team this year. GMU is no better than UNCW, and only slightly better than ODU this season--unfortunately all three programs sucked by past CAA standards.

we lost games we shouldn't have , can't denine that. VCU played their hearts out all year and finished where they finished, Mason on the other hand played below themselves in many games, but when they played up to their level, they dominated teams and walked out with the best wins. after watching what happened to ODU when they played NCAA teams do you really think you were on par with Mason?? seriously?

this is in no way a shot at VCU, you had a great season, and as predicted at the beginning of the season you ended up in the NIT. Noshame in that, and noshame losing to UAB (a great team)

T-Mac
03-20-2008, 11:59 AM
MF, you amaze me with your utter lack of common sense.

Lets have a look at the NCAA Tourney teams and their seeds that both GMU and ODU faced:

GMU:
#9 - Kent St - Loss
#11 - Kansas St. - Win

ODU:
#1 - UNC - Loss
#2 - G-Town - Loss
#3 - L'ville - Loss
#5 - Clemson - Loss
#13 - Winthrop - Loss

Do you notice a difference in any of the seedings? Mind you, we did have a winnable game against Winthrop. Unfortunately it was on their homecourt unlike your win over a young and inconsistent Kansas St. in the fourth game of the season in what was practically a home game for a senior laden GMU squad.

ODUBB35
03-20-2008, 12:05 PM
WRONG. VCU was the most CONSISTENT Team.

GMU was far and away the BEST team in the CAA this year. Don't kid yourselves..

Mason Beat VCU head to Head by 12 points, handed ODU it's worst loss in 12 seasons, held UNCW to 28% shooting in the CAA Semis, and was the only team in the CAA to defeat a Top 25 team this year.

Oh Brother...

You are what your record says you are. The Good Teams ARE consistent. If you are not consistent, you are not good. Take it from an ODU fan. We know.

Congrats on winning the tourney. Now go show us some of that "far and away BEST" talent against ND. :roll: :roll: :roll:

badnewzkennels
03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
i'm waiting for a vcu fan to blame their performance on getting snubbed. you have to be on the bubble to get snubbed...

You're an idiot!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch

warpig
03-20-2008, 12:27 PM
i'm not sure why there's such a discussion over whether vcu is better than gmu. gmu won the head to head and...most important...they won the conference tournament. that's all that really matters.

as far as the records and consistency...gmu turned out to be exactly the team i thought they were. they came out and destroyed drexel...kind of said "alright...we got this caa"...packed it in at times during the caa regular season...but came to play when it counted against vcu on national tv and in richmond. the bracket buster game surprised me because i figured they'd dominate...but they only dominated for a half.

talentwise...gmu is clearly better. it's ok for vcu fans to concede that given how talented their teams have been in the past and will be in the future. gmu has at least five guys who can score. they've taken on the personality of a "tournament team" where the talent only becomes obvious in march. if i'm right in how i read them...they'll win today...or at least be very competitive.

warpig
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
i don't care what you're little web site says. cbs showed a whole chart of like 10 teams that were snubs. vcu wasn't on there and they weren't mentioned.

i guess if you count the bubble as the first 20 teams out they might have snuck in.

Ramdog
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
good discussion on the uab /vcu game by the way....holes

GmuMan
03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
... we did have a winnable game against Winthrop. Unfortunately it was on their homecourt unlike your win over a young and inconsistent Kansas St. in the fourth game of the season in what was practically a home game for a senior laden GMU squad.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

:roll:

Oh, Dear God. Someone please tell me I have dyslexia and I read that wrong. This might be even dumber than the infamous Homecourt Disadvantage.

artRAMinMN
03-20-2008, 12:44 PM

this bears repeating

warpig
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
man...you vcu people are bitter. i wish a down year for my team would be a caa regular season championship and an nit bid. instead we finished 10th in the caa.

it's not like you don't get a break with everything else either. i'm surprised you didn't whine last year about the ncaa tournament not being in richmond. it must have been strange to leave the city limits for a tournament game.

T-Mac
03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
... we did have a winnable game against Winthrop. Unfortunately it was on their homecourt unlike your win over a young and inconsistent Kansas St. in the fourth game of the season in what was practically a home game for a senior laden GMU squad.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

:roll:

Oh, Dear God. Someone please tell me I have dyslexia and I read that wrong. This might be even dumber than the infamous Homecourt Disadvantage.
Sorry, I thought the K St. game was the game played at the Verizon Center. I forgot that was your loss to EZU. :shock:

Mottman
03-20-2008, 01:08 PM

You sucked... what more is there to discuss?

MasonCAA
03-20-2008, 01:45 PM
senior laden GMU squad

what? we have less seniors then ODU and only two start. One thing I noticed on your little chart was we won games, you didn't. You in fact got BLOWN out in all yours. Don't forget to add your 33 point beat down by the Patriots. Is it true your AD is buying banners off ebay now?

T-Mac
03-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Had ODU played two of the worst teams in the NCAA tourney field instead of four of the best, the results may have been different. Had GMU played UNC, L-Ville, G-Town, Clemson, and @Winthrop, you would have lost all five as well.

MasonCAA
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
K-State is an 11 and Kent State is a 9 seed....how are they the worse in the tourny? by the way Winthrop is seeded below both. I'm not sure how we'd do against Louisville, or Clemson, can't wait to maybe find out but both had some bad stretches in the season. Gtown and UNC you maybe right, great teams. I guess in the end, it all depended on which Mason team showed up, the team that pounded teams this year or the team that played down to their competition. I have no doubt that Mason can play and beat any team in the country.

when is your next CBA game?

artRAMinMN
03-20-2008, 05:27 PM
man...you vcu people are bitter. i wish a down year for my team would be a caa regular season championship and an nit bid. instead we finished 10th in the caa.

it's not like you don't get a break with everything else either. i'm surprised you didn't whine last year about the ncaa tournament not being in richmond. it must have been strange to leave the city limits for a tournament game.

you do realize that VCU fans aren't really the ones arguing much on this thread don't you?

you do realize you created your own made-up controversy... VCU fans hadn't blamed any snub for our loss... you said you were waiting for it, and then went on and acted as if we had... that's a tard-and-switch

we stank it up last night, and I think mostly we've admitted it... there have been some grumbles about the refs, but not so much about being snubbed

Ramdog
03-20-2008, 07:06 PM
You sucked... what more is there to discuss?

I yield to your expertise in that matter as I am sure you are an expert

warpig
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
artraminmn...

you're right. i guess it was an odu fan that started this whole "vcu is better than gmu" stuff. i've seen some vcu fans say some really stupid things this year so i just assumed they started it or agreed with it. i don't post on here enough to know who's a fan of who...although the picture of odu fans celebrating in the siegel center should've been a big hint.

T-Mac
03-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Hmmm...if that's the best the CAA has, then we're in big trouble as a conference. :shock:

Hey, at least ODU is still playing. :lol:

ODUsmitty
03-21-2008, 12:07 AM

Wow, implosion at the Soup Kitchen vs UAB followed by an 18-point drubbing from Notre Dame that made the networks switch to the Wisconsin game.

CAA is 1-2 in postseason play, and although our crappy little tourney is for nothing, the CAA needs a good story to close out the season. Sleep well, CAA'ers, we have just made Jay Bilas and Digger Phelps look like prophets.

myorangecrush
03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Sleep well, CAA'ers, we have just made Jay Bilas and Digger Phelps look like prophets.

Yeah, I think their exact words were: Anyone who thinks the CAA is a good conference is kidding themselves. They continue to disappoint year after year. Except for that one time fluke in 2006.

Ovis Fan
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
BINGO MOC!