12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
It's $300 to park in P-lot.... :twisted:

Future Dawgs Daddy
12-07-2006, 06:43 PM
The price of success :shock:

dukaholic
12-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Yes sir.

While it has been nice getting in P-Lot for the bargain basement price of $100, it's even nicer that more people are giving, and increasing their gifts, to the university.

And you can bet I'll still be in P-Lot. I've gotta step my game (and giving) up.

RichmondDuke
12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
That sucks. I think that rate hike is too aggressive. I could see doubling the cost; but tripling it? I don't know where that stacks up against other 1-AA schools, but it just seems over aggressive to me. P-Lot is rarely even close to full as is ... are people really going to continue to shell out that kinda money for a Homecoming placeholder?

I for one will have a much tougher time justifying that expense. That along with the ridiculous schedule that includes four straight home games! That schedule is a joke. I mean seriously; who can travel to Harrisonburg 4 straight weekends! Are we Northeastern now?

Measely 110% contribution :roll: and single game tickets ... here I come. I'm not gonna be a sucker and continue to shell out money just to keep my seat which I could walk down to and sit in anyhow for 4 out of the 6 games.

I rarely get angry about anything on this board; or regarding JMU atheltics .. but this really hacks me off.

ScottJMU
12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
This is absolutely necessary. When four people go in at $25 a piece for a P Lot spot, that's not helping the university. It doesn't matter if the lot is full (though it's nice because it means people are showing up to games), but it does matter if the spots are bought. When you are filling up your stadium, this is what happens. I think the Duke Club needs to be more aggressive in general, and this is a great start.

FYI, Godwin Field is going up to $1500. Time to open up those wallets, boys.

BigDukeDawg
12-07-2006, 08:57 PM
2 questions... which one is P-lot? and do u think this has anything to do with tryen to get our other parkin deck built faster?? i heard from someone that a parking deck is in the top 5 of most expensive things to build period.... anybody know if this holds any water? im just full of questions tonite, gimme a break its exam week... :oops:

rooftop
12-07-2006, 09:06 PM
2 questions... which one is P-lot? and do u think this has anything to do with tryen to get our other parkin deck built faster?? i heard from someone that a parking deck is in the top 5 of most expensive things to build period.... anybody know if this holds any water? im just full of questions tonite, gimme a break its exam week... :oops:

P-Lot is the long, skinny lot across the street Showker. The other parking deck is already being built. It started a few months ago. It is being built entirely on money from Parking Fee's. No way a parking lot is that expensive..all it is concrete, and a little brick for looks...but I could be wrong. These price hikes are great..really shows that JMU Football is getting bigger...supply and demand buddy, supply and demand.

th0m
12-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah I doubt a parking lot is really that expensive. No designing needed really, as well as no true 'inside' so you don't have to worry about isolation (except from the foundation). Unless it's an underground parkinglot, which I highly doubt.

Of course parkinglots CAN be expensive. I'm looking in a book in which there's a built parking lot netting over 14 million euro's (~$18 million)...and I don't think it even comes close to a capacity of 800 cars.

82Duke
12-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I was already at $300 to the Duke Club and my 4 season tics this year, so I guess it won't startle me much. Will likely go to no more than %110 , though. P Lot is awesome :D

RichmondDuke
12-07-2006, 10:15 PM
I want the program to be successful, and I have no doubt that die-hard fans (like yourselves) will absorb the hike in prices without complaint. But realistically die hard fans are not exactly numerous for this program. I hope I'm wrong but I think that you'll see the artificially enhanced demand decreased by a price hike.

As for me; I'm just pissed b/c I won't be able to justify the increased cost. And I am a plenty big fan of the Dukes.

Just as a frame of reference, does anyone have a concept of donor level requirements at other A10 schools?

BigDukeDawg
12-07-2006, 10:25 PM
i meant a parking deck like the one over by the stadium, not just a regular parkin lot, i wouldnt imagine those would cost very much

JMUKev
12-07-2006, 10:51 PM
P-lot is really a pretty darn nice lot in a desirable location to only be $100, especially when the inclement weather policy is in action.

JMU_Dukes07
12-07-2006, 10:52 PM
I want the program to be successful, and I have no doubt that die-hard fans (like yourselves) will absorb the hike in prices without complaint. But realistically die hard fans are not exactly numerous for this program. I hope I'm wrong but I think that you'll see the artificially enhanced demand decreased by a price hike.

As for me; I'm just pissed b/c I won't be able to justify the increased cost. And I am a plenty big fan of the Dukes.

Just as a frame of reference, does anyone have a concept of donor level requirements at other A10 schools?

We have one of the lowest endowments of any school are size. I say its about time we start treating this program like its for real. I dont see the problem with the price hike, a matter a fact I am for it.

Dukie
12-07-2006, 11:14 PM
It has been $100 to park in P lot since the Les Brannick quarterbacked the first JMU team. The giving level should have changed some time ago.

JMU's scholarship costs are approximately $4 million per year. The Duke Club will raise between $900,000-1,000,000 in 2006. I believe tuition costs go up 7-8% a year. Even if everyone gives 110%, which does not happen, our donations would barely keep pace with what is basically 25% funding of the scholarship costs.

P lot might be the best parking lot for tailgating at JMU. Some folks on Godwin Field have even considered moving down. I have parked on Godwin for four years. For the first three years, I parked and carted my cooler over to P lot to tailgate with friends.

I believe most reasonble people realize they have gotten a deal at $100 for the last few decades.

BDKJMU
12-08-2006, 04:03 AM
It has been $100 to park in P lot since the Les Brannick quarterbacked the first JMU team. The giving level should have changed some time ago.

JMU's scholarship costs are approximately $4 million per year. The Duke Club will raise between $900,000-1,000,000 in 2006. I believe tuition costs go up 7-8% a year. Even if everyone gives 110%, which does not happen, our donations would barely keep pace with what is basically 25% funding of the scholarship costs.

P lot might be the best parking lot for tailgating at JMU. Some folks on Godwin Field have even considered moving down. I have parked on Godwin for four years. For the first three years, I parked and carted my cooler over to P lot to tailgate with friends.

I believe most reasonble people realize they have gotten a deal at $100 for the last few decades.

Damn, this pisses me off! First it was the cutting of the sports announcement in Sept, and a few months later we get more great news from JMU athletics. I don't have a problem with an increase. I do have a problem with a 200% increase (at the current avg inflation rate of the last decade+, about 2.5+%, thats 40+ years). I think $200 would be more reasonable. They should have done this in stages to avoid sticker shock.

Hey, I'm a big fan. have been a Duke Club member and season ticket holder the last few years. In my case I live about 4 hrs away & work most weekends. The last 2 seasons have made 6 of 11 home games. May make 3-4 home games 07'. To keep my P-lot level, throw in a couple of season tickets (were $85 a piece this yr for 5 home games, in 05' $85 for 6 home games. I'm assuming will be at least $100 for 6 for 07'), and I'm, looking at at least $500 for the only 3-4 home games I'll make. Then the gas, tolls, tailgate, possibly hotel, etc and my per game cost is looking to get pretty expensive for me if I keep my P-lot status. Now the minimum to keep your season tickets I think its in sections 11-14 which is where I'm at I heard is going up frfom $50 to $75. Now hopefully this buddy of mine who I've been tailgating with the last few years, haven't talked to him yet since I just found this out, one of us pays the $300 and one pays the $75, we split the cost, keep our season tickets, and we'll just be able to park one vehicle in there. If not, I can't see shelling out $300 to park/tailgate in P-lot for 3-4 games. If I lived closer, didn't work most weekends and made all the home games, it would be a different story. I know the pass would be good for any home playoff games, which I would probably make, but from 04' and this yr we know JMU won't get a home playoff game unless they're a seed, which isn't going to happen next year.

Now I've heard Godwin Field/upper parking deck will go from $1000-$1500, and G-lot/Hanson for $300 to $500. I think there will only be a little trickle down from that (Godwin Field people dropping down to G-lot/Hanson and G-lot/Hanson to P-lot. But most of those people will just fork over the extra $. Percentage wise, those increases, 50% and 67% aren't nearly as big as the 200% P lot increase. A lot of the people tailagting in P-lot are younger 20 somethings alumni, and I see a lot of them not to forking over $300 for P-lot. Again, that's why I think $200 would have been a better way to go. P lot wasn't totally filling up from what I've heard and saw most home games (excluding homecoming and maybe one other), and now I think it will be even less so.

Old JMU Fanatic
12-08-2006, 05:50 AM
You guys are all hollaring about P-lot % going up so much, but now to park in G (where I have been forever) is at $750 or the Gold Level ! $100 to $750. Now I'm already at a level that will make moving down to P-lot an easy choice for me so you also need to factor in the new number of P-lot people that will be coming over from G ! P lot will be full now, you can count on it. This change only seems to impact the people who were giving at around the $100 level the most - obviously, if you were giving at the $300 level it isn't going to change anything for you. You'll notice that the field parking didn't go up at all $0.00 and you can get deck parking for only $150. Obviously P-lot is being considered prime parking for inclement weather and is going to be marketed as such. Bump up the donations a little or find another place to park is basically whats going on and I don't see a problem with that, but it's the people in G-lot that are really taking the hammer - not P, and that's a heck of a lot of cars that can / will now move over to P !

JMUDuke2002
12-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Yeah I doubt a parking lot is really that expensive. No designing needed really, as well as no true 'inside' so you don't have to worry about isolation (except from the foundation). Unless it's an underground parkinglot, which I highly doubt.

Of course parkinglots CAN be expensive. I'm looking in a book in which there's a built parking lot netting over 14 million euro's (~$18 million)...and I don't think it even comes close to a capacity of 800 cars.

Parking decks are extremely expensive to build--they cost a lot more than a parking lot. A parking deck, on average, costs between $10 - 15,000 per space. William and Mary built one recently that cost the College 7.5 million for 500 spaces. It is more than the brick and concrete, it is the structural support to handled thousands of cars moving in and out every week for years and years.

th0m
12-08-2006, 07:29 AM

Parking decks are extremely expensive to build--they cost a lot more than a parking lot. A parking deck, on average, costs between $10 - 15,000 per space. William and Mary built one recently that cost the College 7.5 million for 500 spaces. It is more than the brick and concrete, it is the structural support to handled thousands of cars moving in and out every week for years and years.

I meant decks, not lots ;) I guess I spoke too soon then. Figured since a parking deck is usually not very aesthetically pleasing it could be fairly cheap. Let's hope they put down there something more than just a concrete structure though. At $15k per parking space and a total of 800 cars, that's a lot of parking tickets for a $12M pricetag... :shock:

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 07:48 AM
You guys are all hollaring about P-lot % going up so much, but now to park in G (where I have been forever) is at $750 or the Gold Level ! $100 to $750. Now I'm already at a level that will make moving down to P-lot an easy choice for me so you also need to factor in the new number of P-lot people that will be coming over from G ! P lot will be full now, you can count on it. This change only seems to impact the people who were giving at around the $100 level the most - obviously, if you were giving at the $300 level it isn't going to change anything for you. You'll notice that the field parking didn't go up at all $0.00 and you can get deck parking for only $150. Obviously P-lot is being considered prime parking for inclement weather and is going to be marketed as such. Bump up the donations a little or find another place to park is basically whats going on and I don't see a problem with that, but it's the people in G-lot that are really taking the hammer - not P, and that's a heck of a lot of cars that can / will now move over to P !

G-Lot wasn't $100. I believe it was $300. And you get that boost for being a rep.

And while the field parking didn't go up, now for your $1500 you may end up on Hanson field! That would suck.

dunkanddukin
12-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Where's all this coming from? Was ther ea meeting and it was announced or is it posted somewhere for all to read. I will need to "re-examine" our situation as well, depending. Simply because of the conflicts we can already anticipate next season. Made exactly 2!!! home games last year, will probably be more of the same this year. :evil: And that SUX if the costs go up a bunch in addition.

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Where's all this coming from? Was ther ea meeting and it was announced or is it posted somewhere for all to read. I will need to "re-examine" our situation as well, depending. Simply because of the conflicts we can already anticipate next season. Made exactly 2!!! home games last year, will probably be more of the same this year. :evil: And that SUX if the costs go up a bunch in addition.

It was in the packet that they sent out recently. On the donor pledge card, on the back of it, is the "donor giving levels" chart with the benefits from it all...

dunkanddukin
12-08-2006, 10:48 AM
:?: why'd they skip little ole me?!?

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Hmmm, maybe this was just the graduate duke club blast then.... ????

oldtimer82
12-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Just a little disclaimer for those this disgruntled about the price hike.... I'm sure everyone is aware you don't have to pay it all at once right? If I'm not mistaken, you just have to pay a minimum of half your 110% by June. But you basically have 12 months to pay the full $300 (for P lot). $50.00 a month or even every other month beginning in January gets you to half by June.

Trust me, i understand the tight budgets, especially for recent grads. But it can be done. Spread it out, it's not that bad.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But I swear i've done it in the past. The mind is the first to go though.

Old JMU Fanatic
12-08-2006, 11:51 AM
"G-Lot wasn't $100. I believe it was $300. And you get that boost for being a rep."

Still makes G-lot parking the biggest jump $ wise ! $300 to $750. It will force lots of cars over to P-lot and a lot of P-lot cars over by the baseball stadium ! Obviously $1500 is the level where you didn't get messed with - no increase at that level - hmmm. I can't figure out the Hanson - I had no idea it was a high dollar field lot.

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I think the administration is banking on this:

People have the money, but haven't found JMU to be worth it yet.

And they're trying to force people's hands. See what it's worth to them.

To me, and I'm an extreme anomaly, it's worth the extra money. I'm sure many more, like me, will find that it's time they stepped up their donations as well.

To many, it's not, and I understand that.

For the "poor" recent grads - the graduate duke club means that you only have to pay 50% of the tier price to get those benefits. That means recent grads can give $150 and be in P Lot. I know everyone can find $150 if they want to. A few nights you don't go to the bar. A weekend that you don't head down to the beach. If it means enough to you, you'll do it. The administration is betting that it will. It's an aggressive approach. But I like it.

JMU2004
12-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I think the administration is banking on this:

People have the money, but haven't found JMU to be worth it yet.

And they're trying to force people's hands. See what it's worth to them.

To me, and I'm an extreme anomaly, it's worth the extra money. I'm sure many more, like me, will find that it's time they stepped up their donations as well.

To many, it's not, and I understand that.

For the "poor" recent grads - the graduate duke club means that you only have to pay 50% of the tier price to get those benefits. That means recent grads can give $150 and be in P Lot. I know everyone can find $150 if they want to. A few nights you don't go to the bar. A weekend that you don't head down to the beach. If it means enough to you, you'll do it. The administration is betting that it will. It's an aggressive approach. But I like it.

bingo...it forced my hand, and its well worth it to me

JMU John
12-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, maybe this was just the graduate duke club blast then.... ????

Probably ... usually get my renewal right around the CAA Basketball Tourney each year which is probably not the best timing over the recent past :roll:

Top Dawg
12-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Take a look at the top left side of the Duke Club homepage. It includes their new five-year strategic plan. In the plan, they talk about increasing the average donation. It appears that there might be a relationship between the average donation and the P-Lot passes. I found the plan very interesting.

Duke Club (http://www.jmusports.com/DukeClub/)

Old JMU Fanatic
12-08-2006, 01:22 PM
"I know everyone can find $150 if they want to. A few nights you don't go to the bar. "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few nights..............How about one weekend at Ham's staying up for a JMU football game. Me, TEKE, and Harpoo's drink tab for an evening would cover the difference I'm sure - dang, I'd like to be at Ham's this evening now that I think about it.

Dutchess
12-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Ouch!!!

While I can understand the price hikes, I think they are over-hiking it and will find fewer season ticket holders next year - especially in the family-pack sections.

When P-lot was $100, coupled with the family ticket pack, it used to be a great deal for those of us with children and used to be a no-brainer decision. Now I'm sure many families will bow out and choose to find something else to do on their Saturdays.

It would have been much easier to swallow a $100 price increase. For us, the price hike at JMU will probably mean we won't be going to as many away games. I was on the fence about road-tripping to UNC - now I"m not - we'll be listening to that one on the radio.

I guess we'll see how serious our fans are - and it will indicate if our fans really are ready to move up to 1-A.

BDKJMU
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
"G-Lot wasn't $100. I believe it was $300. And you get that boost for being a rep."

Still makes G-lot parking the biggest jump $ wise ! $300 to $750. It will force lots of cars over to P-lot and a lot of P-lot cars over by the baseball stadium ! Obviously $1500 is the level where you didn't get messed with - no increase at that level - hmmm. I can't figure out the Hanson - I had no idea it was a high dollar field lot.

According to the 06' benefits chart, it was $1000 min for Godwin field. I didn't get the recent mailing yet with the new giving levels- haven't gotten today's mail yet. Anyway, this is what I've gathered so far from here and taalking to one of the Duke club Assistant Directors

06' Deck 2-4 $100 07' $150
06' P lot: $100 07' $300
06' Hanson: $300 07' $500?
06' Godwin lot $300 07' $750
06' deck 1 & 5 $1000 07' ?
06 Godwin Field $1000 07' $1500

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I think Hanson Field jumped up from $300 to $1500. That's what it seemed like to me....

I do think we'll be able to get a gauge on whether are fans are ready for the "big time" or not yet. And I think we'll find that the answer is no.

oldtimer82
12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Dutchess hit it. All those 1A threads on here?? Pony up. $300.00 at Va. Tech will get you 6 miles from the stadium. If season ticket sales really do drop because of the price hike (Note: I don't think they will), than you'll never fill a 1A stadium.

Build it and they will come? What...only if prices stay the same?

ScottJMU
12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I read it like Dukaholic, the $1500 level gets you either Hanson or Godwin, while $750 gets you G lot.

I'm not GDC, so this went out to everyone. If you haven't received your mailing, it should come soon. Also, do they normally put your Duke Club info sheet (the one with your bio info, ranking, contact info, etc.) with the renewel letter or with the package they send out once they get the donation?

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Dutchess hit it. All those 1A threads on here?? Pony up. $300.00 at Va. Tech will get you 6 miles from the stadium. If season ticket sales really do drop because of the price hike (Note: I don't think they will), than you'll never fill a 1A stadium.

Yep, $300.00 at Tech won't even get you a parking pass!

$500-$999 gives you the "opportunity to purchase a parking pass for home football season -- if available" - while you have to be at the $1000 level before they'll guarantee you get one!

$2000-$4999 gives you the "opportunity to purchase a reserved parking pass for home football season - if available" - while you have to be over $5000 in order to guarantee a reserved parking pass (I assume the reserved spots are closer, and obviously you don't have to worry about someone parking in "your spot".

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Also, do they normally put your Duke Club info sheet (the one with your bio info, ranking, contact info, etc.) with the renewel letter or with the package they send out once they get the donation?

I thought they did - I got the sheet that that info usually comes on, it was just empty....

Old JMU Fanatic
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM

According to the 06' benefits chart, it was $1000 min for Godwin field. I didn't get the recent mailing yet with the new giving levels- haven't gotten today's mail yet. Anyway, this is what I've gathered so far from here and taalking to one of the Duke club Assistant Directors

I might be confusing the $1500 with what you had to donate for seating in the M section, but I really did think that you had to donate at least $1500 to get field parking too.

dukaholic
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/DukeClub/GivingLevel.asp

Here's this year's information.

$1000 for either Godwin Field or floor 1/5 in the parking deck.

JMUHarpoo
12-08-2006, 02:52 PM
this is simple supply and demand.
There are X number of season ticket holders.
There are X number of premium/reserved parking spaces.

I have no problem with it. Those that really, really want close parking will be willing to pay for it. Those that don't will park further away on first come first serve basis. I like having a reserved spot and I like being close so I will pay, but I do have a decision to make. Do I stay on the field and pony up some more cash or do I downgrade and move to a asphalt lot that is almost as close?

I think the cash ranking of each lot makes sense with one exception - Hanson Field. That should in no way be a $1,500 field. Maybe $750 or $1,000. If I read it correctly, Hanson is the most expensive spot along with Godwin Field and the Parking deck. Hmmmmm. Doesn't make sense to me.

As far as field parking goes, IMO Godwin could be expanded towards the stadium and along side of the road. If the beancounters are looking for more $1,500 level donors they could expand Godwin field and provide a midrange price on Hanson field across the road. :wink:

Dukie
12-08-2006, 02:53 PM
G lot and Hanson I thought were $500, P lot $100 and the field $1,500. There are bump ups for reps. What I don't like is making Hanson and Godwin Field being the same giving level. I may ask for G lot next year and give up my spot on the field. The inclement weather policy makes the field not as good an option. No better place when it is sunny and dry.

You guys do realize Godwin Field folks get kicked to C4 when the field is closed don't you? Given that fact, I say P lot is a bargain at $300. If you only come to two games a year, then why are you even worried about parking? Park in C lot and don't worry about it.

Duke Dawg
12-08-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't understand the Hanson thing either.

If I had the money to pony up for a spot, I'd want to be in Godwin first, P Lot second and Hanson 3rd.

RichmondDuke
12-08-2006, 03:13 PM

I understand the chicken vs. egg argument; and there is a valid point in that argument.
But you can't possibly base an argument on a point of comparison to Virginia Tech. Tech has a much larger alumni base and turns out many more alumni than we do per year. 1A has a much more universal appeal over 1AA to the average sports fan. That is the demand that drives their ticket prices up. Comparing JMU to Tech is ridiculous.

I'm sure just about everyone on this board wants to see the atheltics endowment increase. But they over did it. Sticker shock. Mongo is gonna squeeze his new friends to death.

oldtimer82
12-08-2006, 04:54 PM
wow Richmond, way to totally mis-interpret a message.

I'm late for happy hour so let me try an abridged version...people want 1A for JMU. people also want stadium expansion and a 30,000 seat stadium. In other words, all that having a 1A football team would include. I'm merely suggesting if $300 is too much now, than in 10 years (hypothetical), they'll be really pissed when it's $3000.00.

We all better now?

BDKJMU
12-08-2006, 06:21 PM

I remember going to a couple VT games in 99' & 00' using someone else's tickets. Don't remember having a parking pass, but I sure don't remember parking any 6 miles from the stadium. Don't remember where I parked or how much I paid if any. Didn't really tailgate though.

BTW, do they charge people parking over by the Convo or the lots by Soccer Fields/Field Hockey? I know years ago they didn't. If so now, how much? I know they're only half mile/10 min walks or so. Do people tailgate at all over there?

BDKJMU
12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
[quote="Old JMU Fanatic":b4781]"G-Lot wasn't $100. I believe it was $300. And you get that boost for being a rep."

I might be confusing the $1500 with what you had to donate for seating in the M section, but I really did think that you had to donate at least $1500 to get field parking too.[/quote:b4781]

That would be correct. Looking at the o6' benefits chart right now. $1000 was good for Godwin Field. $1500 to get the chairbacks in M.

BDKJMU
12-08-2006, 06:37 PM

Yep, $300.00 at Tech won't even get you a parking pass!

$500-$999 gives you the "opportunity to purchase a parking pass for home football season -- if available" - while you have to be at the $1000 level before they'll guarantee you get one!

$2000-$4999 gives you the "opportunity to purchase a reserved parking pass for home football season - if available" - while you have to be over $5000 in order to guarantee a reserved parking pass (I assume the reserved spots are closer, and obviously you don't have to worry about someone parking in "your spot".

I went to hokiesports.com and looked it up. $5 to park in the public lot. By the map it looks to be less than a mi. from the stadium. Also they have shuttle busses running from Blacksburg High and Middle Schools, so even if they are a few mi. away, its not like you would have to walk. Those parking passes you refer to are for the lots right around the stadium.

BDKJMU
12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I think Hanson Field jumped up from $300 to $1500. That's what it seemed like to me....

I do think we'll be able to get a gauge on whether are fans are ready for the "big time" or not yet. And I think we'll find that the answer is no.

I thought the Duke club assistant dir. I spoke to said $500, but I could be wrong and don't have the 07' benefit chart, so from what others are saying, it sounds like Hanson is going from $300 to $1500, which is nuts. Actually, the buddy of mine I've tailgated with the last 3 seasons has had a Hanson pass, I had P-lot, but we alawys tailgated in Hanson. I spoke with him today. No longer. One of us will get the P-lot, and the other one either make $75 min contribution to maintain season tickets sec 11-14 or the $150 for the parking deck, and split the whole thing.

BDKJMU
12-08-2006, 07:03 PM
wow Richmond, way to totally mis-interpret a message.

I'm late for happy hour so let me try an abridged version...people want 1A for JMU. people also want stadium expansion and a 30,000 seat stadium. In other words, all that having a 1A football team would include. I'm merely suggesting if $300 is too much now, than in 10 years (hypothetical), they'll be really pissed when it's $3000.00.

We all better now?

I'm relatively new here, and I'm sure this topic has been beat to death many times here. I think alot of JMU people when they think IA they think JMU could be like VT, UVA, BCS conference, perenially nationally ranked, big bowl games, etc. I don't have any rose colored glasses on about JMU in IA. I think it would be more like JMU being in a weak IA conference like the Slum Belt or similar, where the level of football probably isn't/wouldn't be any better/much better than the A-10, playing in front of a half empty 30k stadium week in and week out, trying to reach 6-6 to go to some worthless toilet bowl in mid Dec that no one cares about with no chance to compete for a national title. If it came down to that vs being a IAA powerhouse going to the playoffs most years, having a shot at a national title, playing in an expanded Bridgeforth that seated 18-20k, I'd take staying in IAA.

Oops, 5 messages in a row. Sorry. That won't happen again.

Dukie
12-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I heard something interesting today on a show on Comcast sports. The reason why conferences want to be 1A and why the non-BCS conferences don't push more for a playoff. The Sun Belt, Wac etc conferences all will receive $9.2 million payout from the BCS this year whether they have any teams in a bowl game or not. It seems the bowl system is revenue sharing with every 1A conference. Should 1A go to a playoff system, maybe that would change the revenue sharing with the non-BCS conferences and they would get much less. That is why you don't here more complaints from non-BCS conferences.

I heard a couple of years ago that even 1AA conferences get $250,000 each year from the BCS to help with costs.

Always follow the money. That is where the answers to all our questions are.

dukaholic
12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
The Duke Club has come to me and said that they'd like to answer any questions that we may have on the topic.

So we may be able to do a "live chat" like on ESPN.com - where the person is chatting live for an hour or so, and questions are going through a moderator. People can get questions in before hand, if they can't attend the actual chat. I'm working with ZA to see if this is a possibility for the coming week.

IF it's not, we'll just do a thread with questions about everything - about the new donor levels, about the 5 year plan, etc....and get all the insight we want, straight from the horses mouth.

bulldog
12-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Should 1A go to a playoff system, maybe that would change the revenue sharing with the non-BCS conferences and they would get much less.

Still doesn't make sense to me! Look at how many playoff games there would be with a 64-team field (32 + 16 + 8 + 4 + 2 +1 = 63 games). That should be at least as much (and I'm guessing more) money than the NCAA is receiving with this screwy bowl system! MORE MONEY, more fun, and the champion is determined on the field!

Some have said that it would extend the season far too much. Baloney! It would be a six-week tourney. It's only one more week than the current 1AA tourney.

rufus
12-09-2006, 07:54 PM

Very well said, oldtimer. To those of you complaining about this long-overdue increase, please give me a break. You have realize that the increased giving levels are necessary to grow our program, and take us to the next level. Is JMU's success not worth another $200 a year to you? Come on. I understand it's human nature, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

You might as well bail on our football program right now if these modest giving levels seem out of whack to you. It's going to cost you a lot more when we move to I-A.

Longhorn
12-09-2006, 09:55 PM

Duke 2002 has it about right. When the current deck was built the cost ran around $10k per space...there was some extra money in there too (cost overruns) because of the difficulty encountered in trying to find solid ground for the deck's footers (necessary to support a future upper-deck for the football stands). But the $5 mil spent on the present deck was the price tag several years ago, and construction costs have increased substantially over the last 5-6 years. A $15k per space cost today might actually be too low. :shock:

Dukie
12-10-2006, 11:46 AM
The parking deck will not be a support for a future stadium expansion according to our AD. Any new structure would be self supporting.

JMUHarpoo
12-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Word

BDKJMU
12-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Very well said, oldtimer. To those of you complaining about this long-overdue increase, please give me a break. You have realize that the increased giving levels are necessary to grow our program, and take us to the next level. Is JMU's success not worth another $200 a year to you? Come on. I understand it's human nature, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

You might as well bail on our football program right now if these modest giving levels seem out of whack to you. It's going to cost you a lot more when we move to I-A.

One thing that turns me off about the pros and the big time IA schools is the obscene costs for parking passes, season ticekts, etc. One reason I like JMU is because of the less expensive giving levels, but its still quality college football. I'm probably in the minority here in not wanting JMU to go IA. If they end up being a weak IA team in a weak IA conference struggling every year just to finish 6-6 to go to some worthless toilet bowl, and jack up giving levels substantially to do this, I won't be paying for jacked up parking passes & season tickets. And even if JMU ever got in a BCS conference (unlikely) and became some whipping boy year in and year out I sure as heck wouldn't be paying the even more jacked up giving levels for that. And if JMU ever got into a BCS conference and actually became a perenially ranked team (highly, highly unlikely) a la VT & UVA (well not UVA the last few seasons) the giving levels would be jacked up sky high for parking passes & season tickets like they are at VT & UVA. And I sure as heck wouldn't be paying that. If that was the case, most of their games would be on TV, and I'd just watch most of their games on my big screen and save many grand a year in parking passes, season tickets, travel costs, etc and just come to one home game a year like homecoming. Bottom line if/when JMU goes IA, I'm probably done contributing & no more parking passes & season tickets for me.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
This is what happens when your men's bball team cannot bring in any revenues..

(Yes, a cheap shot, but I couldn't resist! :twisted: )

Duke Dawg
12-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I heard something interesting today on a show on Comcast sports. The reason why conferences want to be 1A and why the non-BCS conferences don't push more for a playoff. The Sun Belt, Wac etc conferences all will receive $9.2 million payout from the BCS this year whether they have any teams in a bowl game or not. It seems the bowl system is revenue sharing with every 1A conference. Should 1A go to a playoff system, maybe that would change the revenue sharing with the non-BCS conferences and they would get much less. That is why you don't here more complaints from non-BCS conferences.

Dukie,

I've been saying this for year with regards to a playoff in IA. It's exactly the opposite. the non-BCS leagues would get MORE. The payoff they are getting now is hush money by the BCS leagues to prevent a real lawsuit.

Look at the NCAA basketball tournament. Because that is sponsored by the NCAA and run by the NCAA, the revenue MUST be divided among ALL DI programs. Yes, they have a system where it's based on units (ie - number of spots per conference) but the little guys like the MEAC, Southland, AEast, that really are responsible for very little of the money paid by the networks are receiving some of the pot. That doesn't sit well with the power boys who are the ones that CBS is paying the money to see in the tournament.

If you realize this fact, then you see why the Gary Williams' and Billy Packer's get all upset about the GMU's and Wichita State's of the world crashing the party they feel is there domain.

Now translate that to the BCS football world. The Bowl system operates outside the NCAA. It is done strictly at the conference level. Which allows each conference to negotiate it's own bowl tie ins, and thus, there own revenue streams. Which is millions and millions of dollars they get to keep 100% to themselves. None of that bowl revenue they earn is shared with anyone outside the conference.

think about it - the SEC has 8 guranteed bowl tie ins, including a $15 million BCS payout. That's 66% of there league EVERY year earning them money. That's millions of dollards GURANTEED for them each year. There is no committee limiting how many playoff spots they get. No revenue sharing with lower level leagues like the Sun Belt. It's all theres to keep.

Why would they want to give that up? answer : they don't. If they could do it for basketball, they probably would. But the system has already been in place for a NCAA sanctioned tournament for years and they may fear a lawsuit if they tried to break from that system.

If the NCAA did go ahead and sanction a revenue sharing playoff system for football, you can guratnee that dozens of IAA programs would immediately move to IA simply to share in that revenue. it's free money for there programs. And that in turn would water down the share going to the BCS leagues. The SEC, ACC, etc, will never agree to this revenue sharing for football. And thus, there will never be a playoff.

rufus
12-11-2006, 12:10 PM
One thing that turns me off about the pros and the big time IA schools is the obscene costs for parking passes, season ticekts, etc. One reason I like JMU is because of the less expensive giving levels, but its still quality college football.
Maybe JMU should drop to D-III or the NAIA. Tickets would be dirt cheap and giving levels would be virtually non-existent! We would also have the best facilities in the land. No need to upgrade! Our basketball team may even have a winning season once every five years.

Of course it will never happen, because JMU doesn't fit in Division III or the NAIA. Then again, JMU doesn't really fit in I-AA either, but we stick around. Division I-AA is the replacement for the NCAA's Small College division. When I-AA was created in 1978, JMU fit the "small school" description. We don't today. The current division I-AA/FCS is a collection of small (mostly private) schools and glorified community colleges. I don't get any great pleasure out of watching JMU play OOC opponents like Coastal Carolina Community College, Youngstown Community College, Delaware State, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, VMI, or the Bible-Thumping College of Virginia. In the past 10-15 years I-AA has replaced Marshall, Boise State, UConn, South Florida, Central Florida, Nevada, etc with Winston-Sallem State, Wagner, Coastal Carolina, Iona, Central Arkansas, Presbyterian, etc. JMU has less in common with the average I-AA school with each passing year.

I understand that increased costs associated with I-A will drive away some potential customers, but for every one that's driven away I would expect another three to be lured in. I would certainly increase my giving substantially.

Boltar
12-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Is a season ticket price increase also in the cards?

BDKJMU
12-12-2006, 02:29 AM
I understand that increased costs associated with I-A will drive away some potential customers, but for every one that's driven away I would expect another three to be lured in. I would certainly increase my giving substantially.

If JMU went IA it would most likey be in a weak IA league like (equivalent to) the Sun Belt. You're saying the "customers" would gratly increase. JMU averaged if I remember correctly about 15,100 for home games. I don't see 40-50k or even 30k fans packing a greatly expanded Bridgeforth stadium, with 2-3x as many Duke Club members paying 2x $ to watch JMU take on the likes of IA teams like Middlle Tenn State, W. Kentucky (going IA), Marshall, Fl. Atlantic, FL International, Memphis, Troy State, Ball State, Akron, Cincinnatti, E Carolina, etc (just naming some fo the closet Slum Belt Conference, MAC, and CUSA teams as examples, because JMU would likely be in an equivalent league). Even in the HIGHLY unlikely event JMU got into a BCS league (maybe Big East) and after 5 years or so wasn't still a whipping boy and was competitive, posting a winning record, going to some crap bowl, I still don't think you'd get 2x-3x (30-50k attendance) the customers paying 2-3x the $. The only way that might happen would be if JMU went IA, got into a BCS league, and became a perennial top 20 team. And that has about as much chance of happening as I do of going to the moon.

duped
12-12-2006, 02:41 AM

If JMU went IA it would most likey be in a weak IA league like (equivalent to) the Sun Belt. You're saying atendance would triple. JMU avgeraged if I remember correctly about 15,100 for home games. I don't see 45k fans packing a greatly expanded Bridgeforth stadium, with 3x as many Duke Club members paying 2x to watch JMU take on the likes of IA teams like Middlle Tenn State, W. Kentucky (going IA), Marshall, Fl. Atlantic, FL International, Memphis, Troy State, Ball State, Akron, Cincinnatti, E Carolina, etc (just naming some fo the closet Slum Belt Conference, MAC, and CUSA teams as examples, because JMU would likely be in an equivalent league). Even in the HIGHLY unlikely event JMU got into a BCS league (maybe Big East) and after 5 years or so wasn't still a whipping boy and was competitive, posting a winning record, going to some crap bowl, I still don't think you'd get 3x the customers paying 2-3x the $. The only way that might happen would be if JMU went IA, got into a BCS league, and became a perennial top 20 team. And that has about as much chance of happening as I do of going to the moon.

Post of the Year!!! We have no F***ing business even thinking about the 1-A route. There are some dope smokers on this board who think JMU belongs at the Championship level. Youngstown St. has 4 1-AA national championships and they don't even think about going 1-A. I love JMU with all my heart, and I am a realist unlike many of you.

BDKJMU
12-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Of course it will never happen, because JMU doesn't fit in Division III or the NAIA. Then again, JMU doesn't really fit in I-AA either, but we stick around. Division I-AA is the replacement for the NCAA's Small College division. When I-AA was created in 1978, JMU fit the "small school" description. We don't today. The current division I-AA/FCS is a collection of small (mostly private) schools and glorified community colleges. I don't get any great pleasure out of watching JMU play OOC opponents like Coastal Carolina Community College, Youngstown Community College, Delaware State, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, VMI, or the Bible-Thumping College of Virginia. In the past 10-15 years I-AA has replaced Marshall, Boise State, UConn, South Florida, Central Florida, Nevada, etc with Winston-Sallem State, Wagner, Coastal Carolina, Iona, Central Arkansas, Presbyterian, etc. JMU has less in common with the average I-AA school with each passing year.

If you look at the A-10 south, 4 of the 6 are mid to large size state univ, one being the main Univ for their state (Delaware). And if you look at the A-10 north, 4 of the 6 are also mid to large public universities, all 4 being the main state univ for their state (UMass, UNH, RI, Maine). Don't think any of them can be called glorified "community colleges" as you put it. In IAA there are plenty of mid and large size public univ, and JMU fits in with them quite well. JMU has plenty in common with alot of the schools from the power IAA conferences, and fits into IAA quite well.

rufus
12-12-2006, 07:01 AM
If you look at the A-10 south, 4 of the 6 are mid to large size state univ, one being the main Univ for their state (Delaware). And if you look at the A-10 north, 4 of the 6 are also mid to large public universities, all 4 being the main state univ for their state (UMass, UNH, RI, Maine). Don't think any of them can be called glorified "community colleges" as you put it. In IAA there are plenty of mid and large size public univ, and JMU fits in with them quite well. JMU has plenty in common with alot of the schools from the power IAA conferences, and fits into IAA quite well.
Do you think UMass, UNH, URI, and Maine are going to be in the CAA football conference in 5 years? Nope. They will have moved to AEC football, and we will have replaced them with ODU, Georgia State, etc. BTW, W&M is not a mid size public university. Admittedly, there are a handful of schools in I-AA with JMU's combination of size and academics. Delaware, Cal Poly, UC Davis, maybe App State. That's about it. We're a better fit in I-A.

I know you would probably like to see us fail in I-A, so the ticket prices will stay low. Personally, I like our chances.

rufus
12-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Post of the Year!!! We have no F***ing business even thinking about the 1-A route. There are some dope smokers on this board who think JMU belongs at the Championship level. Youngstown St. has 4 1-AA national championships and they don't even think about going 1-A. I love JMU with all my heart, and I am a realist unlike many of you.
Duped, always the voice of reason :D Sure Youngstown State has 4 championships, and they're still in I-AA. And Georgia Southern has six, but has never made the move. What does winning championships in I-AA have to do with being successful in I-A?

Boise State only had one championship in I-AA, but they seem to be doing ok. Of course they're not in a BCS conference, so by BDKJMU's logic they must be playing in a "crap" bowl. Yeah, I sure would hate to trade in a trip to Youngstown for a trip to the Fiesta Bowl. The lack of ambition exhibited by some posters is frightening.