PDA

View Full Version : Marcus influence at Newsday

stuball888
05-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Seems like he is at it again. How else can you explain that Hofstra for the first time in its history gets 2 players drafted into the NFL and not a single article in the paper that claims it is a Long Island paper. If any player from Stonybrook made the NFL it would have been plastered on the back page.

Rob O.
05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
That is terrible. I also hate when SJU gets more print than Hofstra. The smaller cities seem to take care of their own. Once again I cite a link from the Harrisburg, PA Patriot News.

Patriot News on Colston's draft (http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1146478896217350.xml&coll=1)

copernicus
05-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Seems like he is at it again. How else can you explain that Hofstra for the first time in its history gets 2 players drafted into the NFL and not a single article in the paper that claims it is a Long Island paper. If any player from Stonybrook made the NFL it would have been plastered on the back page.

no mention at all??? thats unreal! editor in chief should be getting a note from all of us.
How is it that that Nassau county doesnt have its own sports editor? is newsday that small of a paper they cant afford it?

I have been out of the area for a while, but it seems like the Post and NYT have nicer pieces on Hofstra, and I have a feeling that if their sports writers were out of St Johns nothing would have been different.

JoeyBagODonuts
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
There was a SMALL (practically hidden) mention of it in the "By the Numbers" sidebar on the Local Sports page.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-skcolmain014725000may01,0,7075697.story?page=2

Uncle Buck
05-01-2006, 12:32 PM
I sent an email complaining.

Editor John Mancini can be reached at

[email:c1943]editor@newsday.com[/email:c1943]

copernicus
05-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I sent an email complaining.

Editor John Mancini can be reached at

[email:0be53]editor@newsday.com[/email:0be53]

I just emailed him, join in people only takes a minute.

Jack
05-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I hate to be the Newsday-slash-media defender yet again, but the truth is this is not hot news that demands next day coverage in a major market. If Newsday gets around to a story sometime this week, that will be completely appropriate.

stuball888
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Sorry Jack this newspaper can give us a story about some obscure softball pitcher on the east end of Long island but cant locally cover the NFL draft. Was this such a shock that Newsday was totally unprepared? Like I said if this was a Stonybrook alum, this might have been on the back page of Newsday.

Jack
05-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Sorry Jack this newspaper can give us a story about some obscure softball pitcher on the east end of Long island but cant locally cover the NFL draft. Was this such a shock that Newsday was totally unprepared? Like I said if this was a Stonybrook alum, this might have been on the back page of Newsday.

A story on an "obscure softball pitcher" can run on any day, however. That's my point. There's no urgency to get some stories in the paper immediately, including some late round NFL draft picks from a school where attendance is abysmal.

And come on Stu, how many back pages has Stony Brook gotten?

stuball888
05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
How many have they merited? Just saying if these were Stonybrook players it probably would have been big news and there would have been an urgency. Jack dont you think a 4th round pick is good enough for a story. Colon was a local I believe from the Bronx , went to Hofstra then drafted in the NFL. No mention. I dont think that 131-271 blurb was good enough.

Jack
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
How many have they merited? Just saying if these were Stonybrook players it probably would have been big news and there would have been an urgency. Jack dont you think a 4th round pick is good enough for a story. Colon was a local I believe from the Bronx , went to Hofstra then drafted in the NFL. No mention. I dont think that 131-271 blurb was good enough.

I think it's good enough for a story. I don't think there's an urgency to get it in today's paper. You have no idea what Newsday may be planning for the rest of the week.

HofstraCrew
05-01-2006, 04:24 PM
i guarantee if anybody on this board worked for a newspaper they would be putting hofstra articles in over stonybrook or st johns or seton hall articles or whatever other schools were in the coverage area of the newspaper

Jack
05-01-2006, 04:27 PM
i guarantee if anybody on this board worked for a newspaper they would be putting hofstra articles in over stonybrook or st johns or seton hall articles or whatever other schools were in the coverage area of the newspaper

Well said.

stuball888
05-01-2006, 04:28 PM
So Jack would tomorrows newspaper warrent that story or just anytime time this week. If you were the editor what would you do?

Jack
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
So Jack would tomorrows newspaper warrent that story or just anytime time this week. If you were the editor what would you do?

Whenever I have the space and can get all the quotes I need from those involved, I'd run it. There's something called a "news hole" that dictates what and how much you can get in a paper. If that's tomorrow, great. If not, then later in the week is still acceptable.

Uncle Buck
05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
HCrew and Jack, your both crazy. This is a long island paper and all of the long island schools deserve coverage where coverage is due. Shoot, even if I worked at newsday I would like to believe I would represent all schools equally.

I sent the email as a hey don't forget us like you usually do type of reminder. Hopefully they will cover it, but if they didn't, i wouldn't be shocked knowing their track record.

Booker
05-01-2006, 04:50 PM
so I would expect to see something in Wednesday's paper.

Jack
05-01-2006, 04:51 PM
HCrew and Jack, your both crazy. This is a long island paper and all of the long island schools deserve coverage where coverage is due. Shoot, even if I worked at newsday I would like to believe I would represent all schools equally.

That's part of your problem. They don't all deserve "equal" coverage. There's a pecking order.

For example, when SJU basketball is hot, it deserves more coverage than Hofstra. And I'm sure Hofstra's marquee sports get more coverage than C.W. Post's, as they should.

Hell, I'm a Hofstra grad and fan, and I couldn't even pick Colon and Colston out of a police lineup, so how many people in the area do you think care about this? You get to it when you can.

stuball888
05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Jack, Police lineup? Are you crazy? I would not even go there. :wink:

stuball888
05-01-2006, 04:56 PM
On another note the CAA web site has the Jai Lewis story but nothing on the two Hofstra draftees. We are the Rodney Dangerfield of the CAA. :roll:

CommuterMike
05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
On another note the CAA web site has the Jai Lewis story but nothing on the two Hofstra draftees. We are the Rodney Dangerfield of the CAA. :roll:

I can let this slide only because Lewis was a CAA athlete and the Hofstra football players were not. For the next year or so, as far as the CAA is concerned, Hofstra football does not exist.

HofstraHockey
05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
http://www.atlantic10.org/ And the A-10 website has a HU Football pic right on the front. Gotta remeber that there's no CAA football

Uncle Buck
05-01-2006, 08:51 PM

That's part of your problem. They don't all deserve "equal" coverage. There's a pecking order.

For example, when SJU basketball is hot, it deserves more coverage than Hofstra. And I'm sure Hofstra's marquee sports get more coverage than C.W. Post's, as they should.

Hell, I'm a Hofstra grad and fan, and I couldn't even pick Colon and Colston out of a police lineup, so how many people in the area do you think care about this? You get to it when you can.

Jack, where coverage is due. When i said I would represent all schools equally i would, when coverage is due. HU is the biggest college sports program on the island, even if you couldn't pick them out of a line-up. I could say the same about half the Jets, Mets, Giants, well you get the picture. Like I said, we'll wait and see if Newsday does recognize what an accomplishment this is for a small ball Long Island school.

Mark
05-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Newsday could care less about Long Island college sports. Their bread and butter is the local high school game. Why this is so is not entirely clear, but I think it's true.

hofstrahoopsfan
05-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Newsday could care less about Long Island college sports. Their bread and butter is the local high school game. Why this is so is not entirely clear, but I think it's true.

think about who is buying the paper to see their son little mark and his bowling team's picture about their big win. that was just an example, dont take me calling you little personally.

stuball888
05-03-2006, 07:46 AM
OK so Newsday did print an article on Hofstras players getting drafted into the NFL.
Here are some observations: Marcus relogated the story to Adam Ronis who is a junior staff writer. Was this story not big enough for him? If it were a Stonybrook player drafted I would guarantee Marcus himself would have written the article. I am probably nitpicking but I see these subtle snubs of Hofstra by Marcus. The article itself was well written and have no problem with length of the article or its contents. Just wish it would have been done sooner. Glad to at least see that Tom Rock did the mens lax article. Tom at least gives a fair view and is knowledgable of the the sport.

Booker
05-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Marcus is a columnist, not a reporter. He doesn't write news stories. You are way too wrapped up in conspiracy theory.

JoeyBagODonuts
05-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Marcus is also not the Sports Editor. He doesn't get to choose what staff reporter writes what article.

summers
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Marcus is a columnist, not a reporter. He doesn't write news stories. You are way too wrapped up in conspiracy theory.

Plus, the Stony Brook people I know complain about how Hofstra gets three times the attention in Newsday that they do.

Jack
05-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Good. Now we can move on since Newsday treated this story exactly as it should have.

I'll be back during the next Newsday bashing thread.

Uncle Buck
05-03-2006, 06:52 PM
No matter how you cut it, newsday is a rag. Next up, school bashing as budget time roles around. Oh, and no matter what, Marcus sucks.

Titus
05-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I think all media outlets are rags at their core. We aggrandize EVERYTHING nowadays. That newspapers write about what happened on tv programs the night before is a telling sign. We impeached a president for a blowjob, for christsakes.

Every damn day, sports has turned into a soap opera. Who feels "disrespected", who isn't getting a good contract, who hates their coach. Let them deal with it, and let's not have to hear about it. We've been victimized by what we love- saturation of our hobbies. I'm starting to feel that I just want to watch the games, and nothing more.

We're in an age of "look at me, love me, pay attention to me, worship me". American Idol, all these bullsh_t reality shows- even the home improvement shows are idiotic. Give me Norm Abrams, his "New Yankee Workshop" and "This Old House". It all started, and it all went downhill with "The Real World".

Jack
05-06-2006, 10:50 AM
I think all media outlets are rags at their core. We aggrandize EVERYTHING nowadays. That newspapers write about what happened on tv programs the night before is a telling sign. We impeached a president for a blowjob, for christsakes.

Every damn day, sports has turned into a soap opera. Who feels "disrespected", who isn't getting a good contract, who hates their coach. Let them deal with it, and let's not have to hear about it. We've been victimized by what we love- saturation of our hobbies. I'm starting to feel that I just want to watch the games, and nothing more.

We're in an age of "look at me, love me, pay attention to me, worship me". American Idol, all these bullsh_t reality shows- even the home improvement shows are idiotic. Give me Norm Abrams, his "New Yankee Workshop" and "This Old House". It all started, and it all went downhill with "The Real World".

Holy crap, that's a pretty thoughtful post considering the source.

I even agree with it to a degree, although what it has to do with how Newsday covers Hofstra, I have no earthly clue.

Titus
05-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't necessarily know if I set out intent on commenting on the Hofstra / Newsday connection. My intent was to slam Newsday, and to slam media outlets in general. My blanket criticism disregards the topic of Newsday NOT covering HU. I'm not a fisherman, though I now live closer to the south shore. I don't know if at 50 cents a pop, it's the cheapest way to wrap your daily catch.

For the love of God, I heard a ridiculous stat that something like 47 - 50 million people cast some sort of a vote for American Idol the other night. My wife, who with me were two of the last people to not fall into that crap trap, turned coat on me in the last month. She now heads down the road to her brother's house to catch some of the show.

If 50 million people cast votes (regardless of the demographics) for that crap, what was the final known number who partook in the last General Election? That's the target of my ire. The networks have now resorted to this type of programming- and publish the amount of "voters" (of course it's probably inflated...). This stinks of marketing at it's worst.

Give me educational programming material; the channel 13's of the world; Nova, Discovery channel, History channel... or give me death! The responsibility of the networks and media outlets is being called out here--- our kids are getting dumber, adults are fawning over glorified shower howlers, and all we can do is look for more ways to skin a cat in throwing uncompatable people into the same show and call it a social experiment. :roll:

Jack
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't necessarily know if I set out intent on commenting on the Hofstra / Newsday connection. My intent was to slam Newsday, and to slam media outlets in general. My blanket criticism disregards the topic of Newsday NOT covering HU. I'm not a fisherman, though I now live closer to the south shore. I don't know if at 50 cents a pop, it's the cheapest way to wrap your daily catch.

For the love of God, I heard a ridiculous stat that something like 47 - 50 million people cast some sort of a vote for American Idol the other night. My wife, who with me were two of the last people to not fall into that crap trap, turned coat on me in the last month. She now heads down the road to her brother's house to catch some of the show.

If 50 million people cast votes (regardless of the demographics) for that crap, what was the final known number who partook in the last General Election? That's the target of my ire. The networks have now resorted to this type of programming- and publish the amount of "voters" (of course it's probably inflated...). This stinks of marketing at it's worst.

Give me educational programming material; the channel 13's of the world; Nova, Discovery channel, History channel... or give me death! The responsibility of the networks and media outlets is being called out here--- our kids are getting dumber, adults are fawning over glorified shower howlers, and all we can do is look for more ways to skin a cat in throwing uncompatable people into the same show and call it a social experiment. :roll:

My apologies. I thought you were the old Bull Fan. Clearly, you're much smarter.

JoeAlum
05-06-2006, 02:16 PM

Now dog'-gonnit' Titus those are 100% my feelings exactly exceptin' fer' tha' part 'bout slick Willie. He "did not have sexual relations with that woman Ms. Lewinsky". We all know that :lol: So how about he was impeached for just bein' himself, namely a general slime ball jag-off a-hole putrid piss pot :wink:

Uncle Buck
05-07-2006, 12:45 PM
My wife votes on American Idol :oops:

Titus
05-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Yeah, Kathy tried to as well. :?

SMarcus
05-11-2006, 12:20 PM
FROM Steve Marcus: We have many other colleges on Long Island, so we cannot cover every Hofstra event but over the years Hofstra has more stories than all the other schools combined.

Titus
05-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Now in that calculation, does "more stories than all the other schools combined" include or exclude all the bad press Newsday has given over the years- the attention to the rapes, legal misgivings, etc... or does this calculation just include the pure sports stories?

I mean if you really dig deep into the annals of SBU, LIU, et al, I'm sure there are foibles to be found. You don't need to just get your dirt from the NCPD or SCPD. You could, if you wanted to, ask students / professors / public safety about anything that may have occurred. Equal, AND fair coverage, no?

But I know, that's not your intent :roll:

I have to agree, Marcus and Newsday... sub-par. Give me the days of Stan Isaacs, the last good writer in that sports department. I miss his annual ice cream column.

SMarcus
05-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Titus: Being Division I, Hofstra (and Stony Brook) grab more attention when things go wrong. People have a right to know what is going on at the colleges where they send their kids. Steve Marcus.

Boondocks
05-12-2006, 03:09 PM
So being a GMU fan and bored I am just going ask one thing. Having watch the progression of posts from "smarcus".

What kind of credible journalist posts on a fan message board?

SMarcus
05-12-2006, 03:13 PM
One that is willing to be fan friendly, straight forward and open to criticism.

HofstraCrew
05-12-2006, 03:16 PM

just wondering you are posting on any other schools forums...for example like stonybrooks

SMarcus
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I am not posting as such, just responding to the very broad generalizations I see on the board. I see the Stony Brook reference quite often. I attended Stony Brook when it was a Division III institution in the 1970s. I am a writer of collge sports, not a fan of any particular school.

Titus
05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
So Steve, when a crime is commited- whether is a baseball player roughing up someone in a bar, a basketball player cheating on a test or even a football player walking out of Stop & Shop without paying for the bag of cheese doodles- there's a sliding curve on the impact to the community relative to the NCAA classification of their respective institution of higher learning?

Does a Division I kid with a misdemeanor warrant more coverage than a Division II kid with a felony? I'd love to know. I'd also love for you to justify how a parent of a Molloy or Dowling student would want to know less than an HU or SBU parent? I'm sorry, I can't believe you've dedicated enough time in sweeping the campus police reports at the non-DI schools in the area. Surely you can find some indescretions at these schools as well. They're not all angels....

And based upon your brief explanation about folks wanting to know what goes wrong at D-I schools relative to the smaller schools... I'm going to shoot your excuse to hell right now.

Go out to any sports bar on the island. Ask a good number of sports fans- both casual and fanatic. I'm interested to find out the ratio of folks who a) know, b) would consider either HU or SBU as Divison I schools. It's been discussed around here for years on why the LI schools draw so few fanst to DI sporting events, and how we're a professional market.

If they're interested in D-I programs, they're not thinking "little old Hofstra", and certainly not SBU... they're thinking SJU, Syracuse (if they are...), Notre Dame and Miami.

Being Division I, Hofstra (and Stony Brook) grab more attention when things go wrong.

Please don't use that rationale here... the folks here aren't stupid enough to fall for that. For all intent and purpose, outside of the parents of players and hardcore fans of these schools, Hofstra and SBU are just as small and insignificant as Dowling and LIU-Brooklyn. When sports fans think D-I, they think the heavy hitters I mention above.

SMarcus
05-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Titus: You are correct that many fans look beyond Long Island in their rooting interest of major D-I schools, but we are confining our discussion to the local colleges covered by Newsday. And we do not pour over the police blotter for any schools. Most of the ones we report come our way through readers calling in or police reports picked up in the news room. So, bad news comes from all corners. And for the news value, a D-I athlete caught with drugs goes above the radar more than a D-II or III. Just the way the news world works. Duke lacrosse is big news because its Duke. Have the same thing happen at Smith Community College and it would have gotten far less print/TV/radio coverage.

Jack
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM

I admire such an effort, but seriously, there's going to be no winning with the people on this board. They've decided long ago that Steve Marcus = Satan and cash payments wouldn't change their mind.

Really, my advice is to just give up already.

stuball888
05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Now Jack lets give this a chance. If this is REALLY Steve Marcus and he is holding an open dialogue on this board, I for one am willing to listen. I think many on this board have the opinion like you said but it is not etched in stone. Maybe we can reach common ground here.
I for one will say that if it werent for Newsday I wouldnt be a Hofstra fan. Hofstra gets little or no coverage from the other newspapers in the city. Being a fan like the others we crave for more coverage from Newsday. When it isnt there we feel slighted. I guess if we were in a smaller community and there wasnt anything else to report, then Hofstra stories would appear almost everyday.

Uncle Buck
05-12-2006, 06:49 PM
For the love of god people, this isn't steve marcus. Do you honestly think he would waste his time on this board? This is just another Marcus phony.

SMarcus
05-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Buck and all: My e-mail address, the same that appears under my column, is licollege@juno.com or at steve.marcus@newsday.com. And I answer all e-mails.

HofstraCrew
05-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Buck and all: My e-mail address, the same that appears under my column, is licollege@juno.com or at steve.marcus@newsday.com. And I answer all e-mails.

so lets say we wanted to test this just for fun.....could i send you an email containg a completely random quote and then you would be able to post that quote on the forum to verify??

SMarcus
05-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I have established my identity. You can e-mail me with a question.

Jack
05-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Why don't you haters just e-mail the guy? The addresses are legit. He can tell you then whether the posts here are his.

God almighty.

HofstraCrew
05-13-2006, 10:20 AM
i have emailed him and i have not gotten a response so far.

Titus
05-13-2006, 05:37 PM
And for the news value, a D-I athlete caught with drugs goes above the radar more than a D-II or III. Just the way the news world works. Duke lacrosse is big news because its Duke. Have the same thing happen at Smith Community College and it would have gotten far less print/TV/radio coverage.

Steve, I call that lame, and an excuse. It's the responsibility of the media to ignore the classifications of NCAA divisions. If you've thrown in the towel on what is news and what is not, I take that as Newsday's stance, and a poor one at that... you're not following your responsibility to the readers and to the community by deeming what is newsworthy and what is not.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet. I'd love for you to address this in your column on why a D-I crime is more newsworthy than one committed on a D-III campus. I'd look forward to your posturing on this, and I'd love for you to not only interview sports fans, but to include the testimonies of the average LI citizen who doesn't give a damn about classifications. Please, tell me why the same crime committed by two different class of athletes lives on a sliding scale of reporting?

Give us some good journalism, for once. Newsday is keeping in line with most other goods these days- the price does not meet the value. Please add some value beyond the crossword puzzles. As Uncle Buck could attest, I'm a real pain in the ass to folks I pay a service to. I want to feel like I got a steal.

Uncle Buck
05-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Why don't you haters just e-mail the guy? The addresses are legit. He can tell you then whether the posts here are his.

God almighty.

Jack,
Remember the last pretender who claimed it was him and an IP address went back to newsday, but in the end it wasn't Marcus. Anyone can post email and say send me a question. It's not him, he wouldn't waste his time.

Uncle Buck
05-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh, and let me ask this. Of all the other times we sent email to this guy complaining about something or questioning him, nobody has ever gotten a response...ever.

Uncle Buck
05-13-2006, 06:21 PM

Email is too easy, how about you PM me with the number at newsday and I'll call you, ask to be put through, and then get to see if I can speak to you. After all, if you have time to monitor our board and reply to emails, you should have a minute for a call. I could have sworn the last time it was someone using a Marcus email account that was the phony

Jack
05-14-2006, 01:21 PM

God almighty.

Jack,
Remember the last pretender who claimed it was him and an IP address went back to newsday, but in the end it wasn't Marcus. Anyone can post email and say send me a question. It's not him, he wouldn't waste his time.

You're probably right. I just looked at his profile.

SMarcus
05-15-2006, 02:53 PM
From Steve Marcus: Division I garners more attention in general. Whether it is crime or achievement it usually warrants more coverage. In the same manner, athletes involved in crime trumps general students in trouble. This is true throughout the country/world. Fans don't agree with it and at times neither do I, but that is how the media works.

Titus
05-15-2006, 08:45 PM
If this is truly the way Marcus thinks, I'll never read his column again- even out of morbid curiosity. It's about as narrow-minded a viewpoint as there is with respect to coverage of athletics.

SMarcus
05-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Titus: All viewpoints are narrow-minded, yours, mine, the guy at the NY Times, Daily News, CNN, etc. Anytime we disagree with someone we can say their point is narrow minded. Difference of opinion, thank God, is allowed in free society on sports pages, radio, TV. Steve Marcus

Titus
05-17-2006, 09:41 PM
You seem to forget your opinion is PAID for, not mine. I'm not a professional journalist. And that's where you - and Newsday - are going wrong. You don't understand your audience, and your paper doesn't understand it's place in the greater landscape. And please don't put Newsday up alongside the NYT....

These days, people log onto ESPN, CNNSI and the like to check out the goings-on in college sports. You hide behind some convoluted rationale that you're reporting on D-I schools and athletes - Hofstra, SBU - because that's what people want to read about, relative to the smaller guys- Dowling, etc. Again, these aren't the D-I schools folks are thinking about, here or ANYWHERE. You're really not even giving these local D-I's the coverage you say you are...

You're a local paper, and should realize that while Dowling doesn't get to play Marshall in football next year, or that LIU- Brooklyn Blackbirds won't lace it up against Duke, these schools should still get your equal coverage in their games. You're going to pan HU for a lopsided loss anyway :roll:, you might as well dedicate some real estate to good coverage for local teams.

Uncle Buck may think I'm arguing just to argue, but Newsday falls short of the mark in realizing they're a regional newspaper that does a poor job of covering college athletics in the area. You routinely give the local high school kids great coverage for great scoring averages, unbelievable yardage stats... yet they virtually get swallowed by a black hole if they enroll at CW Post or Nassau... heck even HU and SBU! Unless they wind up at USC, we'll never hear about these once-heralded kids again.

Remember Mike Prahalis? :shock:

There's an expected level of coverage with your paper that we've come to expect- the Trevor Gwaltneys at NB and Curtis Martins of NYJ. No in between... aside from Perry Klein and Ian Smart that's it. What about the 'average' lower level teams?

And we've been beating up on Gina Paoli for years about poor attendance. Newsday, LI's most recognizable- if ONLY- daily newspaper- is killing it's local college teams by the void of coverage. We've beaten you up over the years- but I think not enough.

SMarcus
05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
TITUS: None of your points seem to come up in regular discussions with the athletic administrations having a vested interest in our coverage, so unless you are a spokesman for the colleges your views cannot be validated. Newsday is the only paper in the metro area that gives any amount of space at all to local schools. That's a fact, not an opinion. But as a fan you have a right to express your views and we accept that. We will try to improve.

hofstrahoopsfan
05-18-2006, 11:58 AM
You seem to forget your opinion is PAID for, not mine. I'm not a professional journalist. And that's where you - and Newsday - are going wrong. You don't understand your audience, and your paper doesn't understand it's place in the greater landscape. And please don't put Newsday up alongside the NYT....

These days, people log onto ESPN, CNNSI and the like to check out the goings-on in college sports. You hide behind some convoluted rationale that you're reporting on D-I schools and athletes - Hofstra, SBU - because that's what people want to read about, relative to the smaller guys- Dowling, etc. Again, these aren't the D-I schools folks are thinking about, here or ANYWHERE. You're really not even giving these local D-I's the coverage you say you are...

You're a local paper, and should realize that while Dowling doesn't get to play Marshall in football next year, or that LIU- Brooklyn Blackbirds won't lace it up against Duke, these schools should still get your equal coverage in their games. You're going to pan HU for a lopsided loss anyway :roll:, you might as well dedicate some real estate to good coverage for local teams.

Uncle Buck may think I'm arguing just to argue, but Newsday falls short of the mark in realizing they're a regional newspaper that does a poor job of covering college athletics in the area. You routinely give the local high school kids great coverage for great scoring averages, unbelievable yardage stats... yet they virtually get swallowed by a black hole if they enroll at CW Post or Nassau... heck even HU and SBU! Unless they wind up at USC, we'll never hear about these once-heralded kids again.

Remember Mike Prahalis? :shock:

There's an expected level of coverage with your paper that we've come to expect- the Trevor Gwaltneys at NB and Curtis Martins of NYJ. No in between... aside from Perry Klein and Ian Smart that's it. What about the 'average' lower level teams?

And we've been beating up on Gina Paoli for years about poor attendance. Newsday, LI's most recognizable- if ONLY- daily newspaper- is killing it's local college teams by the void of coverage. We've beaten you up over the years- but I think not enough.

i disagree with you. people want to know about the happenings at the div 1 schools more than any other. thats the way it is.

HofstraCrew
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
TITUS: None of your points seem to come up in regular discussions with the athletic administrations having a vested interest in our coverage, so unless you are a spokesman for the colleges your views cannot be validated. Newsday is the only paper in the metro area that gives any amount of space at all to local schools. That's a fact, not an opinion. But as a fan you have a right to express your views and we accept that. We will try to improve.

last year the ny times ran an article on the cover of its sports section about the increased fan support at the hofstra bball games.....i actuall was in the picture they used.

SMarcus
05-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Newsday's coverage of LI college sports in all divisions easily surpasses anything published by the NYC papers at a ratio I would say is 100-1. Fans always want to read more about their teams. We understand that. We get the same feedback from Giant-Jet and Yankee-Met fans. Steve Marcus

Titus
05-19-2006, 07:49 AM

OK, and unless I'm mistaken it's the readers who drive your subscriptions... NOT the athletic administrators whose interests you're trying to appease. Sounds like you're implying you have open dialogue with the supply side of news, and ignore the demand side- the readers. I'm a reader, I'm telling you what I want to see... I would consider my opinions not a spokesman for the schools, but just one as a fan. Please don't get condescending, and please don't play games- we know all of us are speaking here from the fan and CUSTOMER perspective.

The NYT, Post, Daily News... I wouldn't consider those as LI papers. Newsday does carry a city edition as well as the LI edition. However... don't call yourself a fully-loaded metro paper- do you carry news for Westchester? Fairfield? Bergen? Nope. NYT, Post, DN... I would consider them more metro than Newsday, despite that two of them are even more useless than Newsday. You're a LI-based paper, and SHOULD be concerned with the local schools in your respective editions (city, LI).

last year the ny times ran an article on the cover of its sports section about the increased fan support at the hofstra bball games.....i actuall was in the picture they used.

Hmmm....

Newsday's coverage of LI college sports in all divisions easily surpasses anything published by the NYC papers at a ratio I would say is 100-1. Fans always want to read more about their teams. We understand that. We get the same feedback from Giant-Jet and Yankee-Met fans. Steve Marcus

See my point above. Newsday = LI. NYC papers, they're not concerned with anything outside pro sports other than perhaps NCAA tourney or controversy in college sports. Hardly good sports writing there.

SMarcus
05-19-2006, 09:41 AM
You have firmly stated your opinion. I have responded. Your concerns have been noted.

Jack
05-19-2006, 10:15 AM
You have firmly stated your opinion. I have responded. Your concerns have been noted.

I tried to tell you to just give up already. You're talking to walls. They are going to hate you and Newsday regardless, so you have nothing to gain. Titus would have a 97 page daily sports section if it were up to him, just to make sure Dowling got "equal" coverage. No newspaper of Newsday's size and range could possibly do what he's asking. Just ignore.

Titus
05-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Jack, screw off and quit kissing his ass.

Steve, I appreciate that you're taking it on the chin here with my opinions and concerns. I've been a life-long reader of the paper. I have things that I enjoy about it, and of course my criticisms have been aired.

In my Utopian dreams, I wish the paper, it's editors / staff writers / reporters would come to the public and ask what we'd like to see. I also wish journalism at any level would not cater to the athletic administrators to see if they're being served correctly (if I did read into your remark correctly).

The Dowlings of the world deserve the coverage, as do the Farmingdales, HU's, SBU's and SJU's of the region. I enjoy the hell out of 'small ball' with the lower-level colleges. It's sports, no? Have you forgotten the days when HU was part of the DIII ranks, playing Lycoming and Cortland?

Jack
05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
In my Utopian dreams, I wish the paper, it's editors / staff writers / reporters would come to the public and ask what we'd like to see.

Yeah, and for every 100 people you ask you'll get 100 different answers.

Titus
05-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Of course, I don't expect the results to be aligned in totality. But they would get a barometer reading of what the public wants to see.

I'm not asking for an election, only for LI's newspaper to ask us what our appetite is.

Jack
05-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Of course, I don't expect the results to be aligned in totality. But they would get a barometer reading of what the public wants to see.

I'm not asking for an election, only for LI's newspaper to ask us what our appetite is.

Well, I suppose such a survey couldn't hurt, but I'll bet you that if you did one and went by the results of the majority, Newsday's sports section would end up looking very much like it does right now.

Titus
05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
If the result speak, good. But it never hurts for a paper to understand what their readers are thinking by getting their feedback. Regardless if this concept flies in the face of conventional journalistic practice. In a day when everyone has an opinion, businesses need be taking them into account. After all my bashing, I still find sentimental value in that paper.

SMarcus
05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
We have conducted many reader surveys over the years and our coverage is based on those results.