PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Player of the Week Is Ryan Pearson

EvanJ
02-07-2011, 01:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1111/week-11 gave Ryan Pearson the Player of the Week. He had 37 points and 23 rebounds in two games. I realize a player on a mid-major that is not in the Top 100 in the RPI that goes 1-1 for the week is very unlikely to get Player of the Week, but Trevor Deloach of UNC Wilmington had 51 points, 17 rebounds, and all three of his shooting percentages for the week were better than Pearson. I'm not saying this as a fan of UNC Wilmington.

Unfortunately Old Dominion at Virginia Commonwealth didn't make the list of 28 games in "What's On Tap."

bravesfan
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Deloach also played 10 more minutes than Pearson and had 6 turnovers with zero assists over those two games. He did have 6 steals, though.

MonarchSwag
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
enjoy the spotlight pearson. just try not to have a bitch fit in richmond this year.

Gmu_Crew_Econ
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Pearson's gone through way more than you ever will.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/05/AR2011020500361.html

I know you're probably still bitter from the yearly asskicking in Fairfax you just had to go through but I'd rather have no one else in the league on my team that Ryan (except maybe Jenkins...).

bravesfan
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
enjoy the spotlight pearson. just try not to have a bitch fit in richmond this year.

I'm pretty sure anybody who has watched Pearson this year can tell he has matured immensely. He still has some fire and got a couple T's for jawing a bit, but overall, he's really grown up.

JBiggs
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I think the level of the competition also factors in there. DeLoach played against GSU (5-8) and W&M (3-10), while Pearson played against Hofstra (9-4) and ODU (9-4). And ODU's frontcourt is a formidable opponent on which to put up 18 and 11.

MasonCAA
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
More News under "TEAMS that Impressed Us"

George Mason: The Patriots might be tied with VCU atop the Colonial standings, but there seems to be little doubt as to the new conference favorites, after Mason blitzed through two fellow CAA contenders, a 19-point win over Hofstra and a 17-point win over Old Dominion.

It's nice getting press this time of year, you know when it actually matters.....

ConradODU10
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
The heck did Pearson do in Richmond last year?

bravesfan
02-07-2011, 01:49 PM
The heck did Pearson do in Richmond last year?

Word is that he trashed a hotel room. I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know.

ConradODU10
02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Word is that he trashed a hotel room. I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know.

I assume these guys have roomates - no?

Shows a lack of decorum but for some reason it doesn't phase me much, unless the dude did it in anger; you know, like after GMU blew their lead against VCU and lost.

In any case I don't know if I even have Pearson start on my CAA team. (To follow up on the Christian Bale Ax dude's comments)

bravesfan
02-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I assume these guys have roomates - no?

Shows a lack of decorum but for some reason it doesn't phase me much, unless the dude did it in anger; you know, like after GMU blew their lead against VCU and lost.

In any case I don't know if I even have Pearson start on my CAA team. (To follow up on the Christian Bale Ax dude's comments)

I believe it was after the quarterfinal loss to VCU. Who would you have start on your CAA team? I wouldn't think twice about putting him on the team. He plays way bigger than 6' 5" - 6' 6" in my opinion.

Gmu_Crew_Econ
02-07-2011, 02:02 PM

I'd ask you to elaborate but you're an idiot and would probably make no sense.

P8triotfan4life
02-07-2011, 02:19 PM

well played sir, well played. LOL

TomGMU
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Exactly. Pearson was just named ESPN's Player of the Week for having his way with Hofstra's and ODU's frontcourts, but he's not good enough to make Conrad's fictional CAA team. Too funny.

Timer really sucks
02-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Exactly. Pearson was just named ESPN's Player of the Week for having his way with Hofstra's and ODU's frontcourts, but he's not good enough to make Conrad's fictional CAA team. Too funny.

Hofstra's front court? The one ODU outrebounded by damn near 30? Beating up on ODU at home was great but it's 1 game. Hassell pretty much dominated GMU's frontcourt at the Ted, so its kind of a wash.

Overall though, just being honest, I'd take Bowles and Hassell 1st and put Pearson and Skeen second. Teams tend to collapse the paint on ODU and to a lesser extent to stop JMU and Bowles inside.

GMU and VCU's outside shooters make it tough to do that so Hassell and Bowles are at a bit of a disadvantage (double teams, collapsing zones etc). They've put up more impressive numbers than Pearson while being at a bigger disadvantage.

I will say this though, the margin is, should I say, RAZOR thin. Any one of the 4 listed above can get the better of the other on any given night.

Hugh Akston
02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Except Pearson isn't limited to playing inside. He's a 42% 3 pt shooter, better then anyone on ODU's roster w/more then 8 attempts. (4th on Mason's roster)

Timer really sucks
02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Agreed.....Pearson is a smart 3 point shooter. He's not exactly an assassin (he's never made more than two 3 pointers in a game in his career) but its a nice added weapon that has to be considered.

Wish Keyon Carter still possessed that ability. He's gone from a 38 percent 3 point shooter as a sophomore to 35 pct as a junior to 18 pct as a senior.

Yikes. The single most disappointing senior in recent ODU history. I can remember as a Sophmore, in a VERY tough game on the road at W&M (when they were still good), Carter went off for 5 of 6 from three point line and scored 17.

Many at ODU thought a 6"8 guy who was the strongest player on the team (even stronger than Frank the Tank), could score inside or out and rebound would lead us for the next several years. Certainly hasn't been the case, such a shame. He's regressed from his sophmore year in every way imaginable.

TomGMU
02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Overall though, just being honest, I'd take Bowles and Hassell 1st and put Pearson and Skeen second.

I have no problem with this statement.

MAyNorOFTHEYEAR3
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Bowles is really lazy on defense, but he is definitly the best scoring big man in the CAA. Ryan Pearson is fast for a 6'6 guy and has such long arms so he gets many out-of-control layups to fall. Skeen has very good post moves and can also hit the 3.

dan10
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
bowles, givens, skeen are 3 id take before pearson at that position. hassell would be nearly a wash with pearson, although id take hassell before pearson. This is jsut this year though there are others in the conference that in a year or two i would take over him, but since they are not there all of the time yet pearson gets the nods over them.

btw congrats to pearson for the award, nice week of production earned him this good publicity. now if only he could practice his wide open dunks :wink5:

monarchmaniacs
02-07-2011, 04:33 PM
the dunk miss was probably the highlight for me from that game....

pretty sad huh?

Gmu_Crew_Econ
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I thought the saddest part of the game was the 6.7% y'all shot from beyond the arc. I've seen special olympic teams with deadlier accuracy than that.

Timer really sucks
02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I thought the saddest part of the game was the 6.7% y'all shot from beyond the arc. I've seen special olympic teams with deadlier accuracy than that.

Luckily we got our worst performance of the year out of the way. It's all smooth sailing from here lol.

Hugh Akston
02-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Luckily we got our worst performance of the year out of the way. It's all smooth sailing from here lol.

So you expect a much closer loss for your guys at VCU then?

Timer really sucks
02-07-2011, 04:53 PM
So you expect a much closer loss for your guys at VCU then?

I expect to beat VCU at VCU. As I said earlier, we haven't been swept by them since 03 04. I don't expect that to change this year.

GoMasonGo
02-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I expect to beat VCU at VCU. As I said earlier, we haven't been swept by them since 03 04. I don't expect that to change this year.

I can't decide if I want you guys to win that game, from a Mason fan's perspective. I think it will be harder for us to pull off the win if they've already dropped a game there a few day earlier. Then again, the chance to see VCU drop 2 straight home games would be sweet.

TomGMU
02-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I can't decide if I want you guys to win that game, from a Mason fan's perspective.

Come on, GMG, of course we want VCU to lose to ODU. There's no gray area there. It's all about the standings, not some hypothetical, psychological boost you think VCU will get if they lose a game before playing us.

GoMasonGo
02-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Come on, GMG, of course we want VCU to lose to ODU. There's no gray area there. It's all about the standings, not some hypothetical, psychological boost you think VCU will get if they lose a game before playing us.

Yeah. You're right I do. I just also want very badly to win @VCU. I'll take both please.

TomGMU
02-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I'll take both please.

Okay, we can agree on this. :004_ssmile:

Seahawk Nation 08
02-07-2011, 07:48 PM
ESPN named Pearson player-of-the-week, but the CAA was torn on who to give it to apparently. It was announced that UNCW's Trevor DeLoach got a share of the award:

http://hawkshoops.blogs.starnewsonline.com/13810/deloach-earns-caa-honor/

http://hawkshoops.blogs.starnewsonline.com/files/2011/02/Deloach-vs-WM-527x600.jpg

Trevor Deloach was named co-CAA Player of the Week, sharing the honor with George Mason forward, who the Seahawks will see at 7 Tuesday in Trask Coliseum.

Deloach scored 51 points and grabbed 17 rebounds as UNCW split two games last week. He set his career-high for scoring twice, reached double figures in rebounds (12 vs. Ga. State) for the second time this season, and also played 37 minutes in each game, also career-high totals. He hit 18 of 31 field goals, 10 of 14 free throws and 5 of 11 3-point attempts.

TomGMU
02-07-2011, 08:06 PM
You know UNCW has been off the radar for a while when their fans have to include pictures of their players so we know who they are talking about.

[Jinx disclaimer: Congrats to Deloach. He seems like a fine player, and I'm sure he will play great against us tomorrow night. We will be fortunate to win that game.]

Seahawk Nation 08
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
You know UNCW has been off the radar for a while when their fans have to include pictures of their players so we know who they are talking about.

[Jinx disclaimer: Congrats to Deloach. He seems like a fine player, and I'm sure he will play great against us tomorrow night. We will be fortunate to win that game.]

Heh. Sad but true.

I remember when we had a player named Kevon Moore who played well as a freshmen a couple years ago, during the Moss era (he subsequently transferred to Niagara before his sophomore year). When a UNCW fan mentioned that he felt Kevon was as an all-rookie team candidate, several people chimed in that he was making a spelling error, and that the correct spelling was "Devon Moore".

The last 4 years before this one were one giant f***ing embarrassment. All thanks to two women who desperately needed to get laid (one of which that looked like she was on crack 24/7) and probably believe gender is a social construct.

TomGMU
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Mason fans can certainly relate to what UNCW is going through, because we hit rock bottom during the Westhead era like you did under Moss. Hopefully Buzz can turn things around for you like Coach L did for us. He seems to be bringing in some very good players, but the key will be his commitment to the program. Even though he's younger, there's reason why Buzz can't retire there like Coach L and Blaine Taylor plan to do at their respective schools.

Seahawk Nation 08
02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Mason fans can certainly relate to what UNCW is going through, because we hit rock bottom during the Westhead era like you did under Moss. Hopefully Buzz can turn things around for you like Coach L did for us. He seems to be bringing in some very good players, but the key will be his commitment to the program. Even though he's younger, there's reason why Buzz can't retire there like Coach L and Blaine Taylor plan to do at their respective schools.

Buzz CAN retire here if he'd like, but WILL he? Personally, as much as I respect him as a coach, I can't believe a thing he says wholeheartedly. If he told me it was sunny out I'd need to check with 2 other people to confirm it before agreeing that it was in fact sunny. He's not on the level of, say, a Ron Everhart in scumminess, but he's definitely more than a tad disingenuous.

My guess is he'll be gone if one of the big guys comes calling and is willing to pay off his six-figure buyout. NC State would be a good bet. I can only hope that, if/when that does happen, one of his talented assistant coaches sticks around.

Gmu_Crew_Econ
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Pearson was also statsheet's player of the week for the CAA - fourth in line for national player of the week.

In the CAA: Runner up was Chaisson Allen and honorable mention was Cam Long (which I found funny given today's back and forth)

Devon Saddler was Freshman of the week and Fouch was sixth man of the week (like he always is)

Delouch led the CAA in scoring and steals this week.

CAA (http://masonball.com/george-mason-basketball/conf-potw/ryan-pearson-wins-statsheet-caa-player-week-february-7th-2011)

Nation (http://masonball.com/george-mason-basketball/ncaa-potw/chandler-parsons-florida-wins-statsheet-ncaa-player-week-february-7th-2011-197)